Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-21-2011, 03:30 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Old filter pad to start new tank

Hi got a 55g tank that has running for 4 months everything is going good got a valitine puffer snowflake eel and coral beauty in it ( looking at getting a zebra lion too he's on hold at the lfs )
Now I've just set up a 17g tank it's got 5kg of live rock in it ( pick up 8kg last night for 20 dollars came with all kinds of hitchhikers like crabs worms lil shrimps and I think a tiny sand shifting star) now it has not cycled did a test read
Ammonia 0
Ph 8
Nitrates where high (can't remember the number)
Nitrites 0
so I put some filter pad out of my 55g in the filter done a test and it's saying
Ph 8
Nitrate 0
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
Now dose this mean that the tank has instantly cycled

Old 05-21-2011, 04:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well, cycling means letting all of the die-off go through the nitrogen cycle so if you don't have any die-off, you have an "instant cycle". A quick way to test is to add some fish food and test to see your levels tomorrow. If they're all good then you're cycled

Old 05-21-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok I will do some test tomorrow thanks
Old 05-21-2011, 06:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysman
Hi got a 55g tank that has running for 4 months everything is going good got a valitine puffer snowflake eel and coral beauty in it ( looking at getting a zebra lion too he's on hold at the lfs )
Now I've just set up a 17g tank it's got 5kg of live rock in it ( pick up 8kg last night for 20 dollars came with all kinds of hitchhikers like crabs worms lil shrimps and I think a tiny sand shifting star) now it has not cycled did a test read
Ammonia 0
Ph 8
Nitrates where high (can't remember the number)
Nitrites 0
so I put some filter pad out of my 55g in the filter done a test and it's saying
Ph 8
Nitrate 0
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
Now dose this mean that the tank has instantly cycled
How long has ur 17 gallon being cycling for? Its unusual for u to even get a drop in nitrate with a cycled tank. I think u should test it again make sure u are shaking ur nitrate bottle #2 for 30 sec and test tube for 1 min. And for a better indication to see if u are cycled. Increase ur ammonia up to 4ppm and if within 24 hours and u have no ammonia, no nitrite and and about 20-40 ppm nitrate then u are cycled.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:30 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think I have got the drop due to me putting the old filter pad out of my 55g in it which has got good bacteria in
I will test again
I am just asking can the cycle be skipped if you use an old filter pad out of another tank
Old 05-21-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I also used water out of my 55g tank too when I set up the 17g ( 50% new water 50% water out of the 55g)
Tank has been up for 2 weeks did my first test about a week ago added the live rock last night add the (used) filter pad today levels look fine now
Old 05-21-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keysman
I also used water out of my 55g tank too when I set up the 17g ( 50% new water 50% water out of the 55g)
Tank has been up for 2 weeks did my first test about a week ago added the live rock last night add the (used) filter pad today levels look fine now

Ahh I get it. U don't need to use water from ur 55 gallon coz beneficial bacteria don't exist in water column.

And if u use established filter media u still need to wait for ur tank to cycle. The old filter media is there to seed and aid in cycling. It will reduce the cycling period but u can't skip. U still need to add ammonia and test Ur water parameters often.
Old 05-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just did a test readings where as follow
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Ph. 8
So has my tank instantly cycled with the 50/50 water and the used filter pad have dropped some brine shrimp and 3 pieces of krill for the crabs snail worms to eat check ammonia tommorow
Old 05-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and some nitrate, I would say your cycled. Did you do any kind of pwc? Nitrate doesn't go away by itself like nitrite and ammonia, at least without the use of a fuge or other methods
Old 05-21-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

What is a fudge or other methods?

Tags
filter, start, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com