Old filter pad to start new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keysman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi got a 55g tank that has running for 4 months everything is going good got a valitine puffer snowflake eel and coral beauty in it ( looking at getting a zebra lion too he's on hold at the lfs )
Now I've just set up a 17g tank it's got 5kg of live rock in it ( pick up 8kg last night for 20 dollars came with all kinds of hitchhikers like crabs worms lil shrimps and I think a tiny sand shifting star) now it has not cycled did a test read
Ammonia 0
Ph 8
Nitrates where high (can't remember the number)
Nitrites 0
so I put some filter pad out of my 55g in the filter done a test and it's saying
Ph 8
Nitrate 0
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
Now dose this mean that the tank has instantly cycled

well, cycling means letting all of the die-off go through the nitrogen cycle so if you don't have any die-off, you have an "instant cycle". A quick way to test is to add some fish food and test to see your levels tomorrow. If they're all good then you're cycled

Keysman said:
Hi got a 55g tank that has running for 4 months everything is going good got a valitine puffer snowflake eel and coral beauty in it ( looking at getting a zebra lion too he's on hold at the lfs )
Now I've just set up a 17g tank it's got 5kg of live rock in it ( pick up 8kg last night for 20 dollars came with all kinds of hitchhikers like crabs worms lil shrimps and I think a tiny sand shifting star) now it has not cycled did a test read
Ammonia 0
Ph 8
Nitrates where high (can't remember the number)
Nitrites 0
so I put some filter pad out of my 55g in the filter done a test and it's saying
Ph 8
Nitrate 0
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
Now dose this mean that the tank has instantly cycled

How long has ur 17 gallon being cycling for? Its unusual for u to even get a drop in nitrate with a cycled tank. I think u should test it again make sure u are shaking ur nitrate bottle #2 for 30 sec and test tube for 1 min. And for a better indication to see if u are cycled. Increase ur ammonia up to 4ppm and if within 24 hours and u have no ammonia, no nitrite and and about 20-40 ppm nitrate then u are cycled.

I think I have got the drop due to me putting the old filter pad out of my 55g in it which has got good bacteria in
I will test again
I am just asking can the cycle be skipped if you use an old filter pad out of another tank

I also used water out of my 55g tank too when I set up the 17g ( 50% new water 50% water out of the 55g)
Tank has been up for 2 weeks did my first test about a week ago added the live rock last night add the (used) filter pad today levels look fine now

Keysman said:
I also used water out of my 55g tank too when I set up the 17g ( 50% new water 50% water out of the 55g)
Tank has been up for 2 weeks did my first test about a week ago added the live rock last night add the (used) filter pad today levels look fine now

Ahh I get it. U don't need to use water from ur 55 gallon coz beneficial bacteria don't exist in water column.

And if u use established filter media u still need to wait for ur tank to cycle. The old filter media is there to seed and aid in cycling. It will reduce the cycling period but u can't skip. U still need to add ammonia and test Ur water parameters often.

Just did a test readings where as follow
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Ph. 8
So has my tank instantly cycled with the 50/50 water and the used filter pad have dropped some brine shrimp and 3 pieces of krill for the crabs snail worms to eat check ammonia tommorow

If you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and some nitrate, I would say your cycled. Did you do any kind of pwc? Nitrate doesn't go away by itself like nitrite and ammonia, at least without the use of a fuge or other methods

Just got the numbers of my first test nitrite where at 2.0 ppm now they are at 0 since I've add the old filter pad will be doing another test today add krill and brine shrimp last night

yea, the old filter pad would explain the drop in nitrite since there are bacteria on it to eat it up.

A fuge is an area to grow macro algae. The macro algae would consume the nitrate which lowers it. Other methods is like dosing with vodka which creates chemical reactions to change nitrate to something else.

No water changes no use of other methods just the filter pad so is it ok to add stuff

Did a test
Ph 8.0
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
Spoke to my lfs they said all I have to do is to add something (maybe a blue/green chromis) to put some ammonia in the tank il wait a a few days got 5 hermit crabs 3 emerald crabs a few bristles worms and a little shrimp in there just feeding them flake krill and brime shrimp at the moment il run a few more test over the next few days

First you are putting in fish that you will probably want out of your tank. Make sure your tank is cycled and then add the first fish you want in your tank the least aggressive and hardiest.

Nearly all the fish in the saltwater trade are wild caught. They are usually poisoned or darted to be caught IMO it is important to give the best start in our home aquariums possible. It is best to have a QT set up so you aren't introducing something in your tank that can wipe out the whole DT.

Keysman said:
Did a test
Ph 8.0
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
Spoke to my lfs they said all I have to do is to add something (maybe a blue/green chromis) to put some ammonia in the tank il wait a a few days got 5 hermit crabs 3 emerald crabs a few bristles worms and a little shrimp in there just feeding them flake krill and brime shrimp at the moment il run a few more test over the next few days

Don't listen to Ur Lfs! Don't LISTEN!

Y ain't u dosing up ur ammonia? If u don't have pure ammonia. Then add lots of fish food (20pellets) to let it decay into ammonia. If u don't. U are gonna kill all ur bacteria by starving them! And ur cycle will stall! So ya :)

Joy this tank is going to be a coral tank with 2 or 3 peaceful fish in it and the blue green chromis has been at the lfs for about 3 months so he is healthy
If he is the first fish in the tank then who can he infect (that's if he is sick) the chromis are usually pretty hardy

Hubert I have put alot of krill in the tank flake and brim shrimp over the last 2 days ty

I personally wouldn't add the fish just for an ammonia source. It takes a little bit of time for the flake and brim shrimp to decompose so if you wait about 5-7 days and your levels are still good, I would say your cycled.

Back
Top Bottom