old newby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phlipdawg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was into this hobby years ago, but a move from San Diego to the east coast 6 yrs ago put my tank in storage. I have a 90 gallon salt water tank with a wet/dry filter. Everything has been in storage for that time. I've purchased new hoses and seals. Before I add water and start setting up again, is there any concerns for how I clean the filter housing, bio balls, inside the tank. What types of cleaners can I use. I am assuming that this will be a start from scratch setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Vinegar and water is fine.
BTW, will this be a reef tank or a fish only? If you will keep corals, you might ditch the wet/dry and implement a sump. Toss a good protein skimmer in it, and you are good to go.

It's going to be a reef tank. Any suggestions on the skimmer and sump?

Yes. Where will you put your sump? Under the stand? Find a the largest new or used tank you can fit under there and use that as your sump. You can get a local glass shop to cut a couple 10" tall partitions to fit in the tank and separate the intake area, where you will keep your skimmer, from the return area.
You will want to do this because the water level will fluctuate in the sump and a skimmer won't function to the best of it's ability without a constant water level.
As for skimmers, the largest one you can afford.
Just purchase one rated for 1.5 to 2 times your total water volume. Manufacturers tend to rate skimmers loosely.
90 gallons, with say, another 20 gallons in the sump.....I would go with something like:
Reef Octopus Diablo XS 200 Protein Skimmer - Bulk Reef Supply
or
Reef Octopus Extreme In Sump Protein Skimmer w/ Gate Valve

Back
Top Bottom