old reptile tank ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

payner22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
can i use a old reptile tank if i clean it properly the guy at the pet store said i cant because there is urine stuck in the glue but i dont know if he is telling the truth or just hersay because that store dosnt sell any saltwater equipment at all??

reptile tanks have MUCH thinner glass walls than aquarium tanks, because they were never designed to be 99% full of water, or even hold water...so the seals aren't as strong either.

I wouldn't risk it, especially for SW fish, which are already more sensitive than FW fish.

well it isnt a reptile tank it is a regular aquarium sutiable for water i just said reptile tank because i had a reptile in it i just wanted to know if it could be cleaned and used for saltwater fish

If it was me in your shoes, I wouldn't. I just would not risk it. How large is this tank? A new tank is pretty cheap, compared to all the other SW related expenses.

it is only a 35 but they are about 80 bucks i think i just was hoping someone would have a definate answer or maybe some experince on the subject ? i will see what the saltwater fish stores have to say?

The urine thing is not an issue, but damage to the seals because of the reptile's activity and/or shrinkage due the the seals being exposed to what was probably a hot, xeric environment is.....probably not a good deal or a good risk.

well i inspected the seals and they look good and i tested it last night and filled it up and it held water with 0 leaks

payner22 said:
well i inspected the seals and they look good and i tested it last night and filled it up and it held water with 0 leaks

Well then to me you just answered your own question.

payner22 said:

Now leave it like that for at least 72 hours to be sure that they are secure...better sfae than sorry, especially when you consider what is potentially at risk.

Back
Top Bottom