Old tank, new start-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeyswife

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm thinking of starting up my reef tank again. A couple of years ago I had a 24 nano cube that had a small amount of 'shrooms, rics, zoas, and inverts.
I kept a 30 gallon tank of salt water in the basement for water changes. The basement flooded and I think my husband contaminated the salt water tank with aerosol disinfecting sprays. After doing water changes with the basement water everything started dying. Do you think I can still use the tank? What should I clean it with? Should I buy a new tank? As always, any input would be great!:flowers:
Jill

You could clean it with vinegar. I would think it would only be the water that did your other tank in...I don't know for sure if there would be a problem or not. If you could pick up a used tank fairly cheap I might just do that.

Depending on what chemicals were used in the aerosols I would be careful, some chemicals can be absorbed by the silicone sealant on your tank. Maybe a different tank would be a safe option.

Thanks for the input.:thanks: He used Lysol sprays. I may try using a diluted bleach rinse, I was hoping I wouldn't have to get a new tank. I still may have to think about this.

Rumor has it that petco is gonna do it's dollar a gallon sale again....you might wanna call your local store and check when. You can get a 55g for 55$!!! Now that would make a nice tank!

Carey, space is an issue. If I had my choice I'd have a larger tank. I think I'll try Craigslist. Has anyone had any problems buying a used tank?

Any opinions about using goldfish as to see if they live? I know it's kinda like canaries in the mine shaft approach.

I have bought half my tanks off CL and only had one lemon. :)

I gotta say I wouldnt do that to the goldfish. If they die its terrible, but if they live what do you do with them then? lol Just my 2 cents.....

Quick question since we are talking about cleaning up old systems. I have all my parts figured out except one. (got a free tank with goodies off of craigs list) It's a small silver rod about 3 inches long with a plug. It definitely was in the water it's all crusty.

Any help?

That's a grounding strap for your tank. You place the metal rod in the tank or sump and plug it into the wall. Theoretically, if your heater, PH's, or pump somehow find a ground in the tank the fish don't get zapped, the free electricity will find this ground and go out of the tank. Stray electricity and water = not fun.

That's a grounding strap for your tank. You place the metal rod in the tank or sump and plug it into the wall. Theoretically, if your heater, PH's, or pump somehow find a ground in the tank the fish don't get zapped, the free electricity will find this ground and go out of the tank. Stray electricity and water = not fun.

Thank you. It was my last puzzle piece.

Back
Top Bottom