Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2004, 07:28 PM   #11
steve-s

10-15 ppm nitrates are not that large an issue for a new tank. NNR can take a fair bit of time to develope depending on the means your employing. Just be sure you keep an eye on things as you slowly add animals to make sure it doesn't creep up on you. Water changes for the time being at least will be your main recourse.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-23-2004, 03:23 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lovely, I'll go see the LFS today with a view to getting something saturday

Soooooooo exciting now to think a couple weeks ago it was a tank full of water only

Cheers Shelton.

30gal tank, 20kgs Fiji + 4kgs Madagascan LR, bare bottom, 2 x Maxijets 900, AquaC Remora skimmer, 10W D&D UV using a spraybar on surface for return,Maxijet 600 + spraybar behind LR, Ecco 2234 running RowaPhos/GAC, 150w visitherm.
Custom Built lid; 2 x T5 megatwin (4x39W Aquablue+); 4 moonlights.

IKS with temp & PH probes, controlling lights,heat & cooling fans.

Percula Clown; Banggai Cardinal; Firefish; Mandarin
2 Cleaner Shrimps; 3 Peppermint Shrimps; 1 Blood Shrimp
1 Large Feather Duster; 1 Hard Tube Coco Worm; Yellow Cucumber.
6 Red Legged Hermits; 1 Green Emerald Crab; 16 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits; 3 Zebra Hermits; 3 Popsock Hermits
22 Turbo/Astrae Snails; 20 IO Snails
Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2004, 06:59 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Well, I guess I should have read this thread before I posted a very simular one. Dang Newbies

It appears that we are both in the same boat. I did a 25% water change yesterday, and am going to let it cycle one more week before I add a clownfish and a cleaner shrimp.

Thanks
Dan
Old 07-26-2004, 01:24 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

that is actually an exceptable reading for a fo tank....it will probably come down a little...i would do a small water change in a couple of days to bring it down some more...mine has stayed at a constant 8% since the tank has been cycled ( about 2 weeks now) and just came up to 10 today...but my only source of filtration is my rock right now and i dont have need enough live rock

30lbs base rock
6lbs Brazilian LR
35lbs sand (20lbs of lfs ls i think it cycled my tank faster)

3 blueleg hermits
4 turbo snails
royal gramma
gold stripped maroon clown
crage34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 07:12 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm going to change my testing kits this week, I bought a complete starter kit when I didn't know any better, it readings jump in to big a steps for my liking (0.25) so I'll go to a not-so-local fish shop whilst on holiday this week that I know has the salifert ones

As a side note according to the current kit my nitrates have dropped from approx 15 to 5 since adding the fish/shrimp?????

Cheers Shelton.
30gal tank, 20kgs Fiji + 4kgs Madagascan LR, bare bottom, 2 x Maxijets 900, AquaC Remora skimmer, 10W D&D UV using a spraybar on surface for return,Maxijet 600 + spraybar behind LR, Ecco 2234 running RowaPhos/GAC, 150w visitherm.

6 Red Legged Hermits; 1 Green Emerald Crab; 16 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits; 3 Zebra Hermits; 3 Popsock Hermits
Old 07-26-2004, 09:59 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ah yes, it would appear you have been fortunate enough to have acquired the rather rare species known as Lysmata nitrareductus.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 10:54 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hehehehehe, you know you shouldn't tease newbies like that

I think I fed abit too much food to the tank this morning, still not sure whether its better with the PH's on (which makes the fish chase the food) or off which allowed a lump to reach the bottom which the peppermint quickly grabbed & dived back under his favorite rock with!! 8O

Cheers Shelton.

Old 07-27-2004, 11:49 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

I've found that a slightly "high"salinity around 1.025 to 1.027 helps to keep fish healthy because it really draws all the ammonia and other stuff out of their bodies. They really on the salt in the water for this. Of course the main thing is to try to avoid big swings one way or another...
Old 07-27-2004, 12:36 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mines 1.023 atm, gonna up that to .24 or .025 via water changes over the next few weeks..

I am waiting for a refractometer to come from Canada as I don't really trust the hydrometer I have atm.

Cheers Shelton.

Tags
cycle, cycled, led, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com