Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-19-2005, 02:17 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
Did you mix the salt while the water was in the tank? Or is a separate container?

If you mixed in the tank you better stir up the substrate really well. And make sure there isn't any salt sitting in the bottom of the tank.

Stir it up really good and wait awhile. I'd say 6 hours or so just in case. Then check the SG again. If it is still high...or higher you may have to remove salt water and add fresh till you get a SG of 1.020-1.025 or so.

Also many people have told me to fill my SG tester up with salt water and let it sit for 12 hours to break it in. Seems to work ok.

38 gal SW, CC, 40lbs base rock, 5lbs live, emporer 280, bio-wheel 330,tronic heater, 2 O. clowns, 1 firefish.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 09:17 AM   #12
Test Kits

OK. Ill let it sit and extra day and let it cycle some more.

My next q...
What tests do I need to get for a saltwater tank?
Old 03-19-2005, 09:56 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
FWIW i think it definitley depends on thje hydrometer as well, i had this marineland enterpirses one , that i just knew was wrong, and when i got my new instant ocean one, i tested it against my bosses glass one to calibrate it, it showed up .001 too high, the marineland one compared the the IO one is like .0004 too low, my tanks salinity was wayyyy to high when i fouind out i had to do some huge water changes,
mastershake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 11:03 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular
We just switched to refractometer. Got a good deal on eBay for one (like $40, I think). After using it, we found our display tank was up around 1.026 even though our hydrometer read around 1.024. We've been working to bring it down since we made the switch.

I'm still not sure why you'd be seeing 1.029 using 1/2 cup per gallon. That sounds way too high. Like the others said, let it mix for a while and test again. If you use a hydrometer, either bang it on a table or shake it while it's underwater to remove any errant air bubbles.

Good luck!
"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I apologize if my last remarks sounded condescending . . . that means when you talk down to people."
120g RR, 65g HOB and 10g sump, 150g frag tank, 100g sump. Highlights of live stock: Golden Moray eel, 2 purple tangs, 2 yellow tangs, 1 large copperband, 4 GSM's, dragon wrasse, barnacle blenny, 2 pajama cards, 3 green chromis and a dynamic assortment of soft & LPS corals.
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 12:01 PM   #15
1.0235 is what it is at now.
I drained some of the water and added fresh, left it a few hours and this is the measurement I just got (And I didnt add any salt)

Is this a good measurement?
Old 03-19-2005, 12:42 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist
Try to use a little less salt than it calls for, let it mix for a couple of hours and check the salinity. If it's too low, you can add salt. Too high, you can add water. Let it mix for a couple more hours and check it again to be sure before adding it to your tank.

Steve - DFWMAS
92-gal Corner Bowfront: VHOs,PCs,LR,LS,Sump,Skimmer,Fish,Soft Corals,LPS (Born again 9-04)

29-gal: PCs,LR,LS,Skimmer,Fish,Soft corals (Born 9-04)
No_Floaters is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com