OMG- my glass is cracked!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfy23

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just moved in my newly acquired 125g tank and after setting it on the stand noticed a place where the glass has been damaged. I have no idea when or how the damage occurred. It does not appear to completely compromise the glass, but it is at the point where the front bonds to the left side.
Would you guys look at the pics and give me opinions? Thanks very much- I SO hope my tank can be saved!

Attachments

• 100_0028.jpg
    100_0028.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 100_0029.jpg
    100_0029.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 77
  • 100_0030.jpg
    100_0030.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 100_0031.jpg
    100_0031.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 80
Bummer. I have no experience with this, but there's no way I'd ever risk 125g of water spilling onto my floor.

Was the tank new? can it be replaced by the manufacturer?

yes, ziggy, front left corner. about 8" up from the very bottom of the tank.

Is it just chips blown out from the corner? Its hard to tell from the pics. I've seen tanks with chips missing from the corners that were up and running for years with no issues. as long as the sealant is in good standings I expect you should be fine. Have you water tested the tank yet?

If you do I would move it to outside incase something happens

yup, it's just the corner and does not seem to have affected the seal on the inside at all. My gut feeling is that it's ok- I'll water test tomorrow. Do you think it best to fill the tank completely to get full pressure on the crack? That's what I'm thinking.

I had the same problem in my tank when I first got it. There was a small chip on one of my corner panes...I had it up for about a month, when I woke up one morning to find my tank half full. I had to pull up the carpet to dry it out..the sealant where the chip was located had sprung a leak. I ended up removing that entire pane, and resealing it.

I wouldnt use it... take it back if you can. If you cant that sucks but 125g of water could really do some damage to a house/apartment/home.!!!!

I agree with Allen, can you get a pic a little farther away? Allen (Ziggy), unfortunately is probably one of the better tank crack experts (no offense).
Is your stand level?

It was a used tank, so no going back. I'm going to seal the chip and maybe reinforce the corners from the inside, water test, and hope! Thanks for the advice!

I have somewhat the same chip in the corner of my 55g and I've had it up since Aug 08 and I have sand and rock in it.... I think you'll be fine but test it first like the others said to make sure.... (y)

Back
Top Bottom