On an up grade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Red planet

ForumRunner_20130525_172202.jpg
Green acro

ForumRunner_20130525_172303.jpg
Best shot that I could get of the kole tang

ForumRunner_20130525_172412.jpg
And a full tank shot.

ForumRunner_20130525_172459.jpg

Wish I wouldn't have went with a deep sand bed there is so much flow in the tank that that one high spot is about 10"

Seems like my corals are losing color I don't know why. This is a list of my parameters from Monday what do you think?

ForumRunner_20130801_054252.jpg

Going to do a small change to my plumbing to make my water changes easier. Going to add on to my return and add a ball valve at the bottom. What this will do is allow me to turn off the supply to the return pump and turn on my extention to be able to drain water with out a syphon hose. I will then be able to attach the same hose to my pump and add new water back the same way it came out. I will add photos as I do it on my next water change. Sump will be off line for a day while the cement drys.

If you are not dosing anything, that calcium will not hurt anything, except for faster scaling onto pumps, etc. I would not do anything (nor am I aware of a specific lowering technique to be used).

However, if you are dosing, there are 3 ways to lower it;

1. Add LESS calcium (easiest and cheapest method).
2. Add LESS magnesium. That will allow more calcium and carbonate to form and precipitate, lowering BOTH calcium and Alk.
3. Add MORE carbonate/bicarbonate or Alk additive. That will again allow for more precipitate, and lower BOTH Calcium and magnesium levels.

The third option is possible if you are not currently dosing and are considering starting. Your Alk is a wee bit low, and could use some, but if your corals are growing nicely, I probably wouldn't start dosing. If it ain't broke...

So back in March I bought my LED lights as you see below.

ForumRunner_20131014_085513.jpg
I asked Mr X for his opinion on them. He said they will work but his concern would be with the timer going out I would have a useless light. Against his advice I bought them. Now last week the timer started flickerining and then the blues went out. After unplugging and plugging back in the timer display is fine but guess what? The blues are not going back on. One of the two fixtures is okay but one side of my tank only has whites on. My question now is will I (my corals) be okay without blues for a while while I wait to buy another light?

Pray it is what? So you are saying that with whites only I am in trouble? It has been three days now I guess I need to get off my butt and get a light?

I fell the same way but it will be a few days before I can buy a new unit. I will not be getting the same ones. I found a tiotronics led for.$170

So it has been two months and the light has nit been replaced. Corals are loosing color and starting to lose interest in the tank. It has been very disappointing to say the lest. Going to. It a good light but will not have the money till March. Thinking of breaking it down and starting over with all new rock and spending time on the aquascape. As well as building a new stand so it will be taller.

I wonder is anyone is still following this thread? So it has been a long time with one bad light but soon it will be replaced. Corals are still ok there colors are not all that good but still growing. Mid March I will order a new light for the tank. At this point I am leaning towards the 300w maxspect 16000k led. Any opinions on that light? All of the research I have done looks like this will be my best option. I don't want to go with another one that I will have problems with and not get any help from the manufacturer. I am also going to be making my new water changing station. Right now I am using a Rubbermaid trash can. I will bet buying some water storage containers one for fresh water and one for mixing. The one for mixing will have wheels and all plumbed up to be able to wheel up and pump back to the tank. It's all planned out I will add photos when I'm building it. Anyway thanks for reading and happy reefing!

Back
Top Bottom