Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2013, 03:22 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Go with the bubble magus, I currently use a corallife 65 it works okay but not all that great. I'm going to go with the reef octopus nwb200

Old 03-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ive heard the 65 is poor quality, the lfs around me sell the superskimmer in 65 and 125 and he offers a lifetime warranty through his supplier. At no extra cost, so i think im gonna go with the 125 due to cost reasons and its nice size. Besides i want my main source of filtration to be an okay skimmer, and an amazing refugium

Old 03-15-2013, 12:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

OMG stay away from coralife they are JUNK

You need to go with a company that make skimmers...coralife makes cheap product to sell at Petco they do not make quality items. Their skimmers are junk junk junk you would be better off tossing the money into the sump and not buy the skimmer at all.
Get a reefoctopus if I have learned one thing in life it is NOTHING has a life time guarentee. and if you think about it why would they? putting a life time guarentee on something make every customer you will ever have be a one time customer and thats not how money is made. there may be a life time guarentee on one of the parts of the skimmer but the skimmer as awhole is not. and think about it why would they? they want to sell more skimmers...

ALSO before you put in a fuge read this...http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6...ight=Refugiums

Geoff knows what hes talking about and is one of the best people I have found online to learn from. Fuges are terrible terrible terrible and only lead to issues. You will understand after reading the thread...its a long one so get a beer.
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ive definately got lots of time but not atm to read that. I wont go with a coralife skimmer. Got it. And for refugiums.. I skimmed the first page of the thread, and it looks like opinions to me, ill be the full judge of that later, but i dont see how a complete seperate tank conmected to the system just for a refugium could cause problems maybe im wrong, thanks for the link! When i get back from my lfs ill check it out
Old 03-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimdim View Post
Ive definately got lots of time but not atm to read that. I wont go with a coralife skimmer. Got it. And for refugiums.. I skimmed the first page of the thread, and it looks like opinions to me, ill be the full judge of that later, but i dont see how a complete seperate tank conmected to the system just for a refugium could cause problems maybe im wrong, thanks for the link! When i get back from my lfs ill check it out
the way geoff does disscussions is he lets people place their opinions then he explains to them why they are wong. Not in a rude way but a very constructive way that help people understand why the logic isnt there. Geoff is an expert in nutrient control and how systems process phosphates. This is what he will mainly get into. He shows that refugiums cause more issues then they are worth. I decided to test it personally with 2 takes. One I put a fuge on and one i didnt. I did the exact same things with both tanks, same WC schedual, same light schedual. in the one take with the fuge I had mangroves, cheato, live rock, and a deep sand bed. In that take i had a CONSTANT battle with hair algae in the tank and high phosphates. In the take without the fuge I never had any greenhair algae and there was no fuge at all. I grew mangroves in the sump but that was all. I struggled with cyno in both for about a month but never had green hair algae in the take without a fuge. Also my phosphates never went above .05. I had a pair of clowns in both tanks and that was it with dry base rock.

The tank with the fuge did however have lower nitrates at the end of the week when i did my water changes but thats all the fuge provided my nitrates would about <5 and in the other one they were always 5-10.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Like I said the 65 I have has been ok, it tends to overflow quite often. I don't know how to compare it due to the fact that it is all I have had. I do know that I will be spending the money on a good skimmer. I guess what I mean by good is what I have heard from others.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverBs View Post

the way geoff does disscussions is he lets people place their opinions then he explains to them why they are wong. Not in a rude way but a very constructive way that help people understand why the logic isnt there. Geoff is an expert in nutrient control and how systems process phosphates. This is what he will mainly get into. He shows that refugiums cause more issues then they are worth. I decided to test it personally with 2 takes. One I put a fuge on and one i didnt. I did the exact same things with both tanks, same WC schedual, same light schedual. in the one take with the fuge I had mangroves, cheato, live rock, and a deep sand bed. In that take i had a CONSTANT battle with hair algae in the tank and high phosphates. In the take without the fuge I never had any greenhair algae and there was no fuge at all. I grew mangroves in the sump but that was all. I struggled with cyno in both for about a month but never had green hair algae in the take without a fuge. Also my phosphates never went above .05. I had a pair of clowns in both tanks and that was it with dry base rock.

The tank with the fuge did however have lower nitrates at the end of the week when i did my water changes but thats all the fuge provided my nitrates would about <5 and in the other one they were always 5-10.
Your starting to convince me. I do t have a sump or fuge on my current tank, have some hair algae and next to no phosphates. I think my hair algae is from my lighting schedual actinics are on 12-12 1/2 hrs a day. If i would make a fuge there would be absolutely no deep sand bed, as they are harbourers of releasing trapped phosphates with the proper type of dsb. Simple fuge with macro and some rubble is all id use,
Old 03-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimdim View Post
Your starting to convince me. I do t have a sump or fuge on my current tank, have some hair algae and next to no phosphates. I think my hair algae is from my lighting schedual actinics are on 12-12 1/2 hrs a day. If i would make a fuge there would be absolutely no deep sand bed, as they are harbourers of releasing trapped phosphates with the proper type of dsb. Simple fuge with macro and some rubble is all id use,
I would do a fuge with just magroves and cheato. rock rubble is just another way to trap detris =/
Old 03-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No five for me just going to use the space for equipment. I like Tue KISS method.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I just like the idea of a fuge with mangroves and cheato! If i dont do a fuge, i may just put mangroves in my sump with a light. I just like the idea of algae using up phosphates instead of having to run reactors and spend alot on equipment.. When the fuge is "supposed" to do the same thing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com