Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

On an up grade

So today I have a 55 gallon tank with a 29 gallon sump. The sump holds areound 20 gallons if water. What I have for rock is around 90lb and 90lj of sand. I am running a coral life 65 skimmer, 750 return pump, gfo and carbon reactor. I am going to find me a 125 or other 6' tank today and get going. I have around $3,000 to spend and I'm looking for advice. I know all that I want but the money I have is all I am willing to spend to get this started.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What type of advice are you looking for? how to spend the money? what equipment if any do you currently have for the 125?

I would use the 55g as the sump to save yourself some cash.
Upgrade your skimmer to NWB-200 Reef octopus - 290$ from BRS
Get a Mag return, this will be 700gph return so that will be 50g less then your skimmer allowing your skimmer to do its job. 90$ may want to go bigger to match your head hight. you can calculate this just get something thats going to match the flow of your skimmer.
get some power heads ~3-4 that will cost you like 160$ if you go with korillias or something like that.
90 lbs of rock will be just fine and would allow for a nice open rockscape. I personally wouldnt have more then 90 lbs I had like 60lbs in my 75g and a very heavy bio load and everything is just fine.
If this is a reef tank you could go with the dimmble taoratonic leds and get 3x of these and that will cost you 140$ each so 420$

so that leaves you with about 2 grand to spend on the tank+stand and that should be more then enough so you would have some extra cash for things like carbon/GFO reactor, sump baffles, plumbing, heaters. I would get a controler personally and I think you would have enough to get one. Get a Reefkeeper Light Plus - 269$ and worth every penny

CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have been looking at that skimmer as well as the mag drive pump. I want LED's but the Tao tronics are ugly when hanging to the ceiling. I was thinking of the aqiaticlife R12 T5 HID fixture. I think I will buy a used tank and stand so it will leave more money for equipment. Don't know of how to move over the livestock. I guess I will worry about that when I have all that I need. I would like to use the 55 for the sump but have no idea about what to do with the live stock for the two or three days it would take to make and set up the 55 as the sump.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah thats always an issue. Maybe move your stuff into your 20g sump you are using for temp and convert the 55g get things going becauase you will have a mini cycle or possibly even a full cycle so you will need some time to let things settle. another thing you could do is just set up the tank without a sump at first and add it after its cycled. I would deff go leds t5s/halides are a waste of money over time. get AI sols or Vegas if you want something that looks nice.
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Found a good deal for a 120 with a stand and cannopy so may go that way. If I do I can go with the cheep taotronic lights and save some money that way.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Your upgrade sounds just like mine! Im pribably going with 100 gallon, no smaller then 75, might be getting the tank tomorrow for 100
Old 03-15-2013, 02:23 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sounds like you found a smoking deal. I am going to go and see the 120 tomorrow morning.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:26 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Right on ! Hopefully it works out! After i buy my tank im going to be buying my skimmer
Old 03-15-2013, 02:26 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What skimmer you going to go with?
Old 03-15-2013, 02:45 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think bubble magus or coralife ss 125 gonna do fowlr first as light may be an issue at first .

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com