Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2008, 12:36 AM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

How long was the LR out of water before you added it to the tank. There could be some minimal die off that caused the mini-spike. Once you have a large enough colony of nitrifying bacteria built up it won't be a problem.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:40 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Activist

The LR went from the LFS to my tank in 30 minutes, so I think it was okay. I'm not too concerned about it (should I be?). I suspect it will settle down in about a week from the time I dropped it in.
I did a 10% PWC last night using distilled water, instead of tap. See?, I'm learning. When I do a 25% change, I'll go to my LFS, who sells 5 gallon buckets of mature marine water at $6.99. Worth every penny in my mind.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:13 AM   #33
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I would look into pre-mixing your own water. I have two tanks and have a 32G bucket (with wheels) a ph and heater, that I run all the time. It is a good idea to pre mix your water, so you can get the same or close to your tanks parameters, namely: salinity, temp and pH.

+++EDIT+++
Plus you won't have to lug that water all the time and will have extra, just in case.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:00 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Activist

One of the things I failed to look into when I first started was the size of my place, Roka. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment with limited space. I have 5 and 2-gallon buckets for 25% and 10% PWC respectively, but I am so limited in space, that keeping a 5 gallon bucket of mixed water in my place is just not reasonable space-wise. I keep the buckets with lids stashed in my car trunk.
I know, this is no hobby for the short of cash, but I do have to think frugally and I think it can be done on a budget. Why should the fiscally powerful be the only ones to enjoy this hobby?
Your advice is always appreciated, not to mention spot on, but I really am limited in a couple of ways in my tiny apartment. I think the water from the LFS will have to be my option for now.
Incidentally, I inted to move next January! So keep an eye open for my posts about how to move a working aquarium!!!
Old 05-13-2008, 04:51 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Activist

I took another sample today and my ammonia is 0.25, so it's back to where it's been for weeks. I did a 10% PWC and it looks like that may have helped.
Have you guys ever heard of a Mantis Shrimp? I just read a thread about one and I am wondering why I bought LR now! LOL
Old 05-13-2008, 06:53 PM   #36
AA Team Emeritus

Do you think you have a mantis in your LR?
They do sometimes arrive as hitchhikers, but not that often. They are best removed from the tank and placed in a species tank or traded to the lfs for store credit.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:35 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Activist

No, I don't believe so. I am going to move ahead and invest in my Clownfish and hope it isn't going to get eaten by a mantis. I jsut read a thread about one in a guy's tank and it sounds likehte most frithening creature ever!
Old 05-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #38
AA Team Emeritus

Do a search on this site for mantis and you will find some interesting threads.

How often are you buying 5 gallons pails from the lfs? You can store a RODI unit under the sink and make your own mix when needed. Keep a bucket of salt mix in the trunk and use it as needed. Has to be cheaper in the long run.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com