Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

One more cycle question

I've been doing a fishless cycle using pure ammonia for over three weeks. I check my levels daily sometimes twice a day (my wife thinks I have issues). Anyway, for days I've been making sure to dose my ammonia level to as close to 4ppm as I can get. Within 24 hours, ammonia reads zero. Nitrites & nitrates have been so high I've needed to do 2 pwc just to be able to read them. A few days ago I decided not to add my daily dose of ammonia and within 36 of the last ammonia dose, nitrites went to 0ppm. I then dosed ammonia to 4 and ammonia went to zero within 24 hours but nitrites again took closer to 36 hours to read zero.
Should I continue to dose ammonia to 4ppm until both ammonia and nitrites drop to zero within 24 hours or is 36 hours for nitrites to drop to 0 good enough?
...I don't mind waiting

Old 02-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You wanna wait until you always read 0 on trites

Old 02-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #3

Just so I'm clear, if I dose ammonia up to 4ppm, regardless of how long I wait to test the water I should show no signs of nitrites?
Old 02-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Correct..once your BB is fully established your nitrate producing bacteria will eat the nitrites as fast as they are made
Old 02-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858
Correct..once your BB is fully established your nitrate producing bacteria will eat the nitrites as fast as they are made
Thank you, that's what I needed to know.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
You wanna wait until you always read 0 on trites
If you don't mind waiting that is certainly the way to go. If you are anxious, you can wait till nitrates are low and keep up with weekly water changes.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerulean_blue

If you don't mind waiting that is certainly the way to go. If you are anxious, you can wait till nitrates are low and keep up with weekly water changes.
Nitrates yes but nitrites are very bad for your fish...any time you detect even the slightest amounts in your tank you need to do an immediate water change if your stocked already
Old 02-22-2012, 09:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858

Nitrates yes but nitrites are very bad for your fish...any time you detect even the slightest amounts in your tank you need to do an immediate water change if your stocked already
I'm taking your advice and just added more ammonia to 4ppm (both levels were at 0ppm when I got home but it had been close to 36 hours since the last time I added ammonia to 4ppm). I'll check it again later this evening and tomorrow morning. I'm sure I'll notice my ammonia reading go down pretty quick and with any luck, nitrites will remain at 0.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good luck and hope your test tube is light blue ; )
Old 02-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

remember that 4ppm is a BIG mealfor the BB. if the BB is eating 4PPM in 36 hrs it's a pretty strong bacteria colony. Unless you're planning to fully stock your tank in one purchase you're cycled enough to start adding. try dosing to 2 PPM(more realistic for the avg aquarist) & if they eat that in 24 hrs you're definitely good to go.

NyteGTI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com