Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2004, 04:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
He only (as far as I know) took out 2 hitchhiker crabs and a couple of snails. Too small yet to do any real damage. I don't remember the name of the trap. I'll check when I get home and post of pick of it too. I payed about $15 at my LFS for it. Basically its a trap door box. You put the bait in the far end on top of a trigger which when touched allows the door to close. I was having trouble because he is too small and light to set off the trigger. I had to catch him while he was in and quickly tap the door trapping him inside. He was getting a free meal for 2 week before I got him.

Old 10-07-2004, 04:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Did you have any issues with hermits or anything springing it?

I think a nano with a mantis would be pretty cool.....do you know if are they save to have with any sort of corals?

Old 10-07-2004, 04:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

I caught at least a half a dozen hermits and my emerald crab twice. The trap doesn't hurt them, no harm there.
I have him in a 10 now. My wife agreed to keep him for a week or 2. My hope is that she will become attached to him (like I'm becoming) and I can do a nice little species tank for him.
If not, you want him?
I have read they are reef safe, but I'm not sure. I know small fish and inverts are potential meals for them. He is a smasher not a spearer so maybe the fish would be OK, especially if you keep them fed.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:24 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would love to take him if you couldnt keep him but i'm in the same no more tank situation as you are (i brought up the idea of a nano last week and it didnt go over too well, she said she would rather me wait until my birthday which isnt until thanksgiving)
Old 10-07-2004, 04:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I understand that!
I'll let you know first if it doesn't work out. I really don't want to take him to the LFS. I'm afraid they might feed him to a trigger or something. 8O
Old 10-07-2004, 08:05 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

good going quarryshark
all that work paid off !
ugly little buggers
just the thought of getting 1 or more of them when i get to ordering my lr
is just creeping me out
not scared but just soooo creepy looking
greatgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 08:12 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
I may just get a trap myself. have several crabs I want to get rid of anyway.

Hey Quarryshark, can you post a pic of your emerald crab so I can figure out if I have one in my tank. I want to get rid of the bad guys and keep the emerald crab.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 08:36 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

What did you bait the trap with? I saw a 3 inch one in my tank today so I am going to get the trap tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:59 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rocketseason, look in my gallery. There is a pick of one of them there,
Bloodman, I used little slices of a scallop. Ill post a pick of the trap in a bit.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:53 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here is the trap. Its called X-terminator. Not sure who makes it, I pitched the box. Because its light, I used a few marbles at the far end of it to weigh it down so the powerheads wouldn't blow it around.

Tags
spec, species, species tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com