Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2004, 11:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
One step closer to my Mantis species tank(go to pg 3)

Finally caught the mantis that I have been after for 2 weeks!! What a battle!
He is only about an inch long and does not trip the spring in the trap I set. I have been setting the trap every night and I think I have caught every hemit and emerald crab in my tank in the last 2 weeks.
Tonight I set it and was quietly watching him sneaking around it, Finally he inched in and instead of grabbing the food and running (like he usually does and he is very fast) he decided to stay put and eat. That was his mistake. I very slowly grabbed my prongs and quietly tripped the door to the trap before he could run.
Have him in a spare 10 gallon and an airstone, the other qt tanks are being used and I'm not putting him with the fish.
Now the question. I am going to try and talk the wife into keeping him(she is opposed). Fascinating little creature and very smart.
If that doesn't work out, anyone want him?
Got a couple of picks, not very good quality, I will try to get a better one tomorrow and add it to my gallery.

Old 10-07-2004, 12:47 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

BTW, he is only about 1" long, the black thing in the first pic is an airstore.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:56 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mine's been living in a small 5 gallon now. The only thing in the tank is him, one chuck of LR and a very small powerhead. He's doing ok, but I feel sorry for him because it can't be very interesting in there.

Anyway, he's becoming increasingly tame and my wife is finding him more interesting every day.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad you got him Qshark! They are very cool looking.

You know I have 155pds of LR, and I have never come across one, or had any clicking at all. Hmm, go figure.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:11 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
Sure now after I get my nano goin with Chromis you get one ! ! !
I got clicking and got no idea what is it...
I think it's a pistol... cause no other signs of a mantis...
Wish I knew how you tell the 2 apart...
Old 10-07-2004, 02:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Anyway, he's becoming increasingly tame and my wife is finding him more interesting every day.
it would be sad if she left you for a shrimp
Old 10-07-2004, 11:42 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to joekoug Send a message via MSN to joekoug Send a message via Yahoo to joekoug
Quote:
it would be sad if she left you for a shrimp
LMAO
Old 10-07-2004, 01:56 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
wow. thats cool.

I hear a TON of clicking, but no sign of a mantis. Did yours come from LR.com?

I am curious about how much clicking you heard at night?

I would like to set a trap but I am afraid that it may not do any good.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 02:21 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes I got it from LR.com. I even did the soda saltwater dip that Bearfan suggested and he still made it into the tank.
As for the clicking, I would hear a pop once in a while, always thought it was the pistol shrimp I got with the rocks too. In my experience the poping sound turned out not to fit the usual description for a mantis. I just happened to see him one night walking by the tank before he bolted. he had been in there since the end of July and I never saw him before that night.
After this I started looking for him and learned he basically hung out in one area of the tank. In fact I was able to at least catch a glimse of him every day (he became bolder and bolder and would come out a bit at feeding time). He moved between 3 different rock that were on the bottom and I would have been a big disruption to remove these rock, so I purchased the trap. He would go in the trap, but didn't have enough body weight to trigger it, thats what took so long to catch him. I had to watch and wait for him to enter and trigger it myself. Fortunately it worked.
He is cool, very interesting to watch. Would really like to keep him, in his own tank of course. Just gotta get the wife to agree to the idea. She is very much against another tank in the house.
If you suspect you have one, It wouldn't hurt to put the trap in and see. The trap won't hurt anyone.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What kind of trap did you use and where did you get it?

I hear clicking ever once in a while when the lights are out but I have yet to see anything at all that would do it or have seen any evidence of anything harmful in the tank.

Tags
spec, species, species tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com