One week Old Tank What Do You Think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started a 65 gallon tank one week ago. I used live sand and about midweek added about 20 pounds of live base rock. Here are the chemistry results today.

ammonia .5
nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ph 9
Salinity 1.021

A local shop said to replace about 10 gallons to help Ph.

Any other thoughts as to how things are going and what if anything I need to be doing?

Are there fish in the tank? Or are you doing a fishless cycle?

During the cycle your PH can fluxuate a bit more than normal.

I would wait till your ammonia was down to 0.0 before doing a water change. When you do the first water change make it a fairly significant one. Maybe 50%.

I kept a log during my cycle so I would know exactly where I was. It is very helpful to look back on. ( I still keep a log) I checked my levels every 2 days during the cycle and every 1 week now. My tank cycled very fast and because I kept a log I never questioned it. 8O

Live Rock

Hi,

I big is your tank? and what type of tank are you going to put up? Do you have Fishes? Is your water level low? I would use 50 lbs to start with for a small tank (30-55). It always depends how high you want to go. Remember 50 lbs of live rock will rise the water level higher!

Take Care!

It depends on your system. Do you have any other kind of filtration? Do you want to go with live sand? The general rule is 1-2# per gallon of tank. I chose to go with a little over one pound per gallon because 2 pounds per gallon takes up a lot of tank space. Some of it a personal preference. :D

Back
Top Bottom