Online LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mannyfern09

Aquarium Advice Regular
Anyone order live rock online? If so from where? Only place i have checked is EBAY, seems to be a good deal if you order the companies ULTRA PREMIUM rock, its 3.25 a lb. Theyre premium cost 2.80 a lb. Any other places to look at?

Almost anyplace that will sell livestock will carry rock. The only thing about buying online though is your stuck with what you get as opposed to being able to go to your LFS and picking out what you think looks nice. Im not sure anymore, but marcorocks dot com used to be really reputable for selling dryrock. Im not sure if that is something your interested in, but its much cheaper and they used to send you pictures of what you were getting.

I ordered some from Underwater Outlet, one of our sponsors and was extremely happy with it...great quality and plenty of it...the LFS's in my area are charging $6-8 per pound, so online really isn't so bad considering..just a thought.

------------

Curly

I ordered my base rock from marcorocks. I bought my LR from a LFS that is no longer in business....sigh...

If i order LR online that is cured is it ok to get ground shipping? or do i have to get 2day

If it's cured, you want overnight. Not 2nd day. Not ground. Doing anything less will make your cured rock pretty much uncured.

I agree with Kurt, but if it is not shipped in water you may have to recure it anyway....not 100% sure since I have never had cured LR shipped to me.

I agree Scott, having rock out of water for a 24 hour period is going to cause a lot of die off. They aren't going to ship LR in water because the weight would just be too much. Unless you pick your rock up at a LFS you are going to have to do a certain amount of curing. IF you are just setting your tank up this isn't a big deal as you can use the LR as part of your cycling process.

A couple things... I think there is a place that ships rock in water, but I can't think of it right now.

When I bought the rock for my tank, I bought cured and had it shipped airport-to-airport and picked it up a couple of hours after it landed at my local airport. It was out of water for approximately 24 hours. It was shipped wet, wrapped in newpaper and plastic and was pretty drippy when I received it. It didn't smell bad at all. When I tossed in a shrimp to kick start my cycle, I saw ammonia for just a day or two, and then just started seeing nitrates show up. So as far as cycling, I really didn't have to do much. I'm sure it all depends on how "cured" the cured rock is, but just thought I'd share my experience.

Support you LFS, alot of times they will negoitate on rock if you commit to a significant amount.

Find a buddy nearby, and make an offer on 100+ lbs. I got great rock at 4.5lbs that I got to personally pick out 15 minutes away from my house.

Back
Top Bottom