Oolitic sand causing problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltwatersmac

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have purchased 90lbs of Aragamax oolitic sand for my 90 gal tank. I got this because I've read where the smaller sand can support more denitrifying bacteria. Now I've read where someone uses larger sand (2-4mm) because the oolitic caused more sandstorms and pump damage. Just wanted to see if anyone else feels this way before I put this sand in.

TIA
Stephen

That is the only sand I have/ever will use. It's great for denitrification even in a shallow sandbed. The smaller the particles, the less detritus and other wastes can work their way down into the sandbed becoming trapped. It will be a little cloudy for a day or two but will not be a concern for powerheads.

If this is a new set up, simpley use it out of the bag without rinsing. If an established tank, there's a little first step you can do that will help with fine debris. Again do not rinse, add the sand to a shallow tupperware bin or similar and "cure" it the same way you would cycle a new tank. The bacteria will weigh it down and greatly reduce the fine silt from floating in the water column.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the input Steve. I just got a little paranoid when I thought it might cost me around $300 in pumps that I will be using. I am basically setting up a new system but will use the lr and the critters from my current system. Will it take about the same time to "cure" the sand as it does to cycle the tank?

saltwatersmac said:
Will it take about the same time to "cure" the sand as it does to cycle the tank?
Depends on the new system your setting up, will it be a fast switch? It shouldn't tale more than a few weeks and can be sped up if you seed it with some of the old substrate. If not too fine, ball it up in a nylon stocking and bury it in the new sand. Add your ammonia source and remember to stir it every day or so. Use a heater and a small cheap powerhead as well.

Cheers
Steve

I will move the one fish I plan on keeping (maroon clown) and the few mushrooms to a quarantine tank while I set up the new one. I plan on keeping a check on it to see if there is any cycle, probably a week or so. If everything goes well I will acclimate the fish to the new setup.

If you have the time to wait, you can set up the new tank with the new sand, cure it with a heater and low flow powerhead before transfering the inhabitants from the smaller tank. If you wait until the ammonia stage has passed (about 7days) and then add your LR you should be good to go about a week later give or take. You end up with a well seeded tank and little or no mess.

Cheers
Steve

Patience is one thing I have learned is valuable in this hobby. I have been planning and researching this new setup since January 8O . I have a 20 gal tank that will keep the maroon clown until his new home is ready. So this is your recommended process....

1) Remove critters from old tank and put in temporary tank
2) Setup new system with low flow, heater, sand and dead shrimp(ammonia source)..What about my new uncured base rock and should I still use the old substrate in a stocking trick?
3) After ammonia stage add existing LR
4) Watch nitrite fall to 0
5) Add critters to new home

Once again Steve THANKS for your help
Stephen

Exactly... (y)

What about my new uncured base rock and should I still use the old substrate in a stocking trick?
Use both right from the start :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom