Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

You would think as a Chemistry teacher you would test the water to make sure it has cycled. By testing . I mean SG, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH. All these have to be in line for that starfish to survive.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:00 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinds04 View Post
Tank will need to cycle and need a heater to maintain good temp. Something to also think about would be transporting the tank to and from school during summers/winter break.
It stays there. That's why I have everything on timers and automatic feeders. The 5G is my tiny tank compared to the others in the room. Right now I just go there twice a week to check on them. The janitors are the ones enjoying them. Nice being at a school that's only 11 miles away from home. Sure beats my last commute!

BTW - for Mr. Starfish and snails should I just drop a 7 day gel feeder in for them? That's what I do for my loaches and cats in the planted tank. The automatic feeders only work well for flakes. Although I did buy the algae clump for the snails to enjoy.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2scicrazed View Post
It stays there. That's why I have everything on timers and automatic feeders. The 5G is my tiny tank compared to the others in the room. Right now I just go there twice a week to check on them. The janitors are the ones enjoying them. Nice being at a school that's only 11 miles away from home. Sure beats my last commute!

BTW - for Mr. Starfish and snails should I just drop a 7 day gel feeder in for them? That's what I do for my loaches and cats in the planted tank. The automatic feeders only work well for flakes. Although I did buy the algae clump for the snails to enjoy.
You may have to have a chiller to keep temps down during the summer unless your school runs the air conditioner all summer while no one is there.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #14

Test strips - gotta love them! Yes, water was ready for Brine Shrimp on Friday. When I say 'cycled' I automatically assume that testing during the duration is such a common practice that it doesn't need mentioning. Heating was also assumed to be an understood requirement. I apologize for assuming.

FYI - I'm not a newbie at general fish keeping - just a newbie with SW species other than Brine Shrimp.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

you never know... people around here like to see things done right. To many people jump into things without knowing what they are doing and torture/kill fish and other things.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinds04 View Post
You may have to have a chiller to keep temps down during the summer unless your school runs the air conditioner all summer while no one is there.

KeKe - My room is in the wing right NEXT to the main unit. Can we say brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! (66-68F) Perfect for my planned Native fish tank - but not for anything else. And since this is the Summer School campus, the Summer Football camp campus, etc - for the county. This school NEVER shuts down. (except maybe on Sunday for church... LOL):p

Yep, I've finally found the perfect place to unleash my aquatic interests. It's close, open all the time, and the Principal is a former Biology teacher! They love how I've set up the room to look like an aquatic zoo... Especially since I've got 10 lesson plans which use the tanks..
Old 07-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

lol Everything seems to be working out then. Maybe pick up some live rock... it will be cheap considering size and it will give the tank some character and something more for students to look at. Plus you never know what your gonna get on it. Star may be under the sand alot which will make the tank boooorrrring.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:21 PM   #18

I read that Chocolate chips and live rock/reefs don't mix. Is that true or false?

BTW - this little tank wasn't supposed to be interesting. It's behind my desk on a middle shelf. It was set up just to breed brine shrimp for future study. I wasn't intending to get Mr. Starfish... LOL

Maybe I should get one of those tacky bubble powered pirate ships or treasure chests.. Or maybe a bubble moving skeleton with a sign "the last student who gave me a headache".... *snicker* What do you all think?
Old 07-18-2010, 07:25 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
Ooorrr, you could add a pond, and actually put one of those real scientific skellies in there . Ya know, those 4 desks in the back are useless anyways. Studies show students who sit in the back tend to get worse grades :P
Old 07-18-2010, 07:42 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to logansmomma1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2scicrazed View Post
Test strips - gotta love them! Yes, water was ready for Brine Shrimp on Friday. When I say 'cycled' I automatically assume that testing during the duration is such a common practice that it doesn't need mentioning. Heating was also assumed to be an understood requirement. I apologize for assuming.

FYI - I'm not a newbie at general fish keeping - just a newbie with SW species other than Brine Shrimp.

You use test strips? Then you would know that they are highly innacurate.. I would suggest API's liquid regeant test kit.

If someone gives good advice, thank them with some rep points!
logansmomma1228 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com