Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #21
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`m a little concerned about the CC star. One of the things that`s needed in this hobby is lot`s of research. I dont think you`ve done enough on this project. According to Liveaquaria they say " A large aquarium with open access to a mature sand bed several inches in depth best recreates the preferred habitat of the Chocolate Chip Sea Star." I personally dont think your star will live long in that tank. They dont eat brine. And even if they did brine has little or no nutritional value. Liveaquaria also says "
In the aquarium, the diet the Chocolate Chip Sea Star can consist of chopped clams, shrimp, and squid." It is a carnivore and needs meaty items. Here is the link to all the info I gave you. I would rethink the project if it was me.

Saltwater Aquarium Inverts for Marine Reef Aquariums: Chocolate Chip Sea Star, Protoreaster sp.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:28 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have an API Master freshwater kit as well as an API Master reef kit. I use the test strips during the cycle phase for general quick checks. Use the indicator + tube kits (and an electronic pH probe) once I'm ready for more than plants.

Melosu58: I understand your concern and this is one of the few times I obtained something without prior research. But it was a rock and a hard place type of thing. The starfish needed a home before the end of her shift since they can't resell returns, and I happened to have a tank readied that she deamed chemically suitable for him. If I hadn't adopted him - he most likely would've ended up dead before the aquatic expert salesperson's next shift. He would've been left in the sealed ziplock.

I've read descriptions of CC where they are described as 'reef killers', shrimp conoseurs, as well as scavengers. It appears he might enjoy the shrimp pellets that I feed to my various cats/loaches. I'll give him one tomorrow after I put him in the classroom tank. I'd actually be pleased if he can cohabitate peacefully with the brine shrimp. After all, the tank is actually for them - he's just a guest. I'm sure he'll enjoy the sand in it. It's the same pool filter sand I use in the Malawi tank and Planted barb tank.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:15 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to logansmomma1228
Whew. I was hoping you would know that! (about the strips ) lol. Seeing as you are a science teacher I was a little worried for a moment! Sorry if it seems like you are getting crap, I know a lot of people on here are passionate about the hobby. Myself included, even though I am still pretty new to this. Welcome, and good luck on your CC! I hope he does good. Pics? I love pics!

If someone gives good advice, thank them with some rep points!
logansmomma1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:42 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

By the way, What grade do you teach?
Old 07-20-2010, 09:51 AM   #25

This year I'll be assigned either all 10th graders or 11th graders. The grades I teach as well as the content changes from year-to-year based on what the school needs. I'm that jack-of-all-sciences who picks up the overflow. Just happens that the district is making half the high school population take chemistry this year. So there's a lot of overflow.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:14 AM   #26
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Our reef club, NCPARS, sponsors a saltwater system at a local high school. The system is run by their chemistry teacher. We support the project by giving them money to buy supplies such as salt, supplements and equipment. Dunno how far you want to take your project, but maybe there is a reef club in your area who would be willing to help you out.

You can see some info about the system we support here.
Our Fish
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:16 PM   #27
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

That`s very interesting Larry.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:49 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

That is interesting.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:19 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to krap101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
Our reef club, NCPARS, sponsors a saltwater system at a local high school. The system is run by their chemistry teacher. We support the project by giving them money to buy supplies such as salt, supplements and equipment. Dunno how far you want to take your project, but maybe there is a reef club in your area who would be willing to help you out.

You can see some info about the system we support here.
Our Fish
That's really cool. I wish my school had something like that.

On a side note, I thought the safety glass was kinda funny, but I guess it should be expected :P
Old 07-23-2010, 02:53 AM   #30

Wow, very cool teacher- I am 46 and never had that level of devotion - even in college. kudos!!

Either way:

A 5 gallon tank requires no heater- ambient room temp will sufffice, provided it's not in a meat locker or the like.

As for brine shrimp - even my feather star will eat brine, why it normally doesn't- obvious- he has no ability to see it, so, for the star, it becomes entirely a life of sensory "seeking", as true with most Star Fish.

As for chem. of the tank- yea right- a 5 gallon tank with nearly nothing in it that can change water chem. seriously- come on guy's don't you know your fishes- or water chem. for that matter, evap is the only real concern. As for food- A little marine snow- problem solved.

Quoting Foster/Smith is akin to quoting Obama, for the true story of the day~ do you believe that?

I think the teach is doing a great thing.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com