Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2010, 03:06 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry Man, I'm with TC and Melosu. I don't think the CC is gonna be around long. The Shrmip Pellets won't cut it. It needs fresh food. Chopped fresh squid or similar.

Also Alpha:
The water chemistry changes when Brine or something else is in it because they poop and poop gives off ammonia which kills the fish. So that's why water chemistry is CRITICAL in every single tank.
Also on the Brine Shrimp, they aren't nutritous. Your feather star (which is the hardest thing to keep alive in a SW tank) and any other animal needs better food then brine.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Oddly enough my Feather Star does fine on marine snow, and simply doing what he does- filter feeding.

As for brine- I belive they were speaking of baby brine in small amounts, if there is this control, it shouldn't effect the tank for a very long time.

Nitrites will simply evaporate off.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #33
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_03 View Post
Wow, very cool teacher- I am 46 and never had that level of devotion - even in college. kudos!!

Either way:

A 5 gallon tank requires no heater- ambient room temp will sufffice, provided it's not in a meat locker or the like.

As for brine shrimp - even my feather star will eat brine, why it normally doesn't- obvious- he has no ability to see it, so, for the star, it becomes entirely a life of sensory "seeking", as true with most Star Fish.

As for chem. of the tank- yea right- a 5 gallon tank with nearly nothing in it that can change water chem. seriously- come on guy's don't you know your fishes- or water chem. for that matter, evap is the only real concern. As for food- A little marine snow- problem solved.

Quoting Foster/Smith is akin to quoting Obama, for the true story of the day~ do you believe that?

I think the teach is doing a great thing.
...seriously? Have you ever kept a nano tank?
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Nitrites will simply evaporate off.
OK... I'll bite...

Care to elaborate on that statement a bit?
Old 07-23-2010, 03:57 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldnt worry about live rock. Does a CC really munch on rock like a Parrot or file fish? at $3 a lb it is probably cheaper than some of those fake decorations anyway.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezon View Post
I wouldnt worry about live rock. Does a CC really munch on rock like a Parrot or file fish? at $3 a lb it is probably cheaper than some of those fake decorations anyway.
I don't know if CC's munch on rock, but I know that urchins do and In a tank with heavy coralline I find that to be a good thing for my tank. To much coralling and the LR becomes anerobic and the arobic bacteria dies off.IMO
Old 07-23-2010, 08:12 PM   #37

Yes Jimbo7, would you like to buy a 7 gallon acrylic rectangle tank that I no longer use?

In the case of nitrite reduction via evaporation- think about the process here, in such a tank that has no other life in it, nitrites will be generally low any way, evaporation will be quick for a tank this size, there fore additional water will be required quite often- hence- nitrite reduction due to evaporation necessitating water top off's.

Additionally, Jimbo7, asked why I made my statements. Well sorta asked.

From 60 degrees mesured tap water, I tested a 10 gallon tank to see how long it would take it to arrive at ambient room temp (72 degrees)- result= 1hr and 12 mins. with a simple 12v PC fan placed near it. Please explain why a heater would ever be needed for such a tank? The lighting used would be all the heat such a tank would ever need in a normal enviroment, not to mention pumps and what ever else is contained in a small enviroment (these too create heat).
Old 07-23-2010, 08:21 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
In the case of nitrite reduction via evaporation- think about the process here, in such a tank that has no other life in it, nitrites will be generally low any way, evaporation will be quick for a tank this size, there fore additional water will be required quite often- hence- nitrite reduction due to evaporation necessitating water top off's.
But the nitrites aren't evaporating away with the water, right? They're staying behind. In theory, before you replace the evaporated water your nitrites are a higher concentration than they were before the water evaporated. Then when you top off, the nitrites are back at the same level they were before.

I agree though... no life, no nitrites - other than what is found in the salt mix.

Regarding the no heater thing... I think it depends on the temperature of your house at night, and how much of a temperature swing you're willing to tolerate. If it's cold at night, with no lights, that tank is going to lose heat and drop in temp just as fast as it came up in temp.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #39

Quote:
Mitchell0605
Also Alpha:
The water chemistry changes when Brine or something else is in it because they poop and poop gives off ammonia which kills the fish. So that's why water chemistry is CRITICAL in every single tank.
Also on the Brine Shrimp, they aren't nutritous. Your feather star (which is the hardest thing to keep alive in a SW tank) and any other animal needs better food then brine.
Ammonia at ultra high levels- sure. Water chemistry is not as critical as you think, this is a mis-nomer for the most part (considering what most testing kits tell you) these companies want you to buy chemicals by way of scare tactics. And no, a feather star is not the hardest thing to keep in a well designed and maintained aquarium- far from it.

It sounds like you have tried- if so, are you of the dosing clan type? If so, consider that in and of itself.

Because I will tell you this feather stars are very "picky" about enviroment and water quality- that doesnt make them hard to keep if you have a tank that is set up properly.

BTW, My longspine Urchin knows more about water quality then any test strip, he is my tankometer, and he has nearly out grown his home- he was once 2.5 inches, he is now 10 inches in diameter.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:34 PM   #40

Kurt, ask yourself what the make up of nitrite is? Then think about water evaporation. Where do you think no3 will go when attached to water vapor?

Also, water in the ocean changes temps (at reef levels) when the sun goes down, why would a gradual change in temps of say from 78f to 74f ever be of concern with a healthly tank any way?

Never bothered any of my guys and they now reside in my 155gal.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com