Oops - accidently ended up in SW today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2scicrazed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I'm a science teacher that uses live aquatic models in class for student research projects. Since I changed districts this year I've gone from being 5 minutes from the best Aquatic store in Nashville - to an hour away..

One of the main projects I do every year involves brine shrimp colonies. So I got the bright idea of using a 5G tank I had in storage to create a permanent breeding colony of them. That way I'm not driving WAY out've my way to the ONE store that sells them. (mentioned above). I also intend to feed the excess to my planted barb tank and Malawi Lake tank.

On the way home I stopped by my favorite Petco to buy the pair of Mollies my stepson has been wanting. While there I was given a pair of marine snails and a Chocolate chip Starfish that another customer had returned. (they always give me free stuff at this store.) Also purchased a big clump of algae.

So now I've got the whole shebang sitting in an overnight container with air stone. The starfish reacted to being dumped in by curling all legs up and over. I actually found this site because I was searching for why he did that. Turns out I now have a very happy starfish because he's in the middle of food...

Perhaps enough brine shrimp will survive to breed in the five gallon? Or perhaps I need to set aside a bowl of them just in case. (I doubt he'll manage to eat them all in one evening) Maybe the starfish will be so happy with the shrimp that he'll leave the snails alone.

In any case, I'm now the proud owner of a critter that I never intended to own. Though my students will get a kick out of him for sure! (y)

That is a neat story... what are your plans. What exactly do you have the starfish in? Sand/Live Rock/Equipment? This could go south very quickly

I thought of trying to do this a few years back, and from what I read, to have a sustainable colony of brine shrimp, you need a tank of a few hundred to a few thousand gallons :p. I was told it would be cheaper and easier to just grow them when I needed them. That said, you can for sure grow the brine shrimp to larger sizes once they hatch in the 5 gallon, but I'm not sure if you'll be able to get them to reproduce.

They reproduced like nuts in the 1L control tank last year. Students thoroughly enjoyed seeing them mating. It was a good healthy colony throughout the six weeks of research. Then I gave it to my department head to feed to her reef to dispose of it. Why keep it when that particular school was a mere 5 minutes from the ultimate aquarium store?

Moral of the story - it isn't hard to keep a breeding colony going.

Mr. Starfish will be kept in the 5G. Just him, sand, algae clump, a fake sea sponge, the two snails and some brine shrimp. I'll probably just set some of the brine shrimp in one of the 1L research containers to ensure a supply for the class project this winter.

Nope, no live rock/reef for Mr. Starfish to consume. Just Brine shrimp and maybe the snails (hope not, we'll see)

How do you plan to cycle that 5g to make it safe for the starfish?

Maybe the project I was thinking of was to make it self-sustaining? Like have algae grow and have the shrimp reach an equilibrium?

Tank will need to cycle and need a heater to maintain good temp. Something to also think about would be transporting the tank to and from school during summers/winter break.

It's been cycling/running since last week in preparation for the brine shrimp. From what I've been reading and was informed by the store who gave it to me - if the tank is safe for Brine, it's safe for the Starfish.

I generally allow my classroom tanks to cycle for over a week before I put anything more than plants in them. Allows the chemicals to balance out. After all, I am a chemistry teacher... LOL... Chemical testing is my strength..

good to hear. wasn't aware you had this already going. What did you use to cycle with?

You would think as a Chemistry teacher you would test the water to make sure it has cycled. By testing . I mean SG, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and PH. All these have to be in line for that starfish to survive.

Tank will need to cycle and need a heater to maintain good temp. Something to also think about would be transporting the tank to and from school during summers/winter break.

It stays there. That's why I have everything on timers and automatic feeders. The 5G is my tiny tank compared to the others in the room. Right now I just go there twice a week to check on them. The janitors are the ones enjoying them. Nice being at a school that's only 11 miles away from home. Sure beats my last commute!

BTW - for Mr. Starfish and snails should I just drop a 7 day gel feeder in for them? That's what I do for my loaches and cats in the planted tank. The automatic feeders only work well for flakes. Although I did buy the algae clump for the snails to enjoy.

It stays there. That's why I have everything on timers and automatic feeders. The 5G is my tiny tank compared to the others in the room. Right now I just go there twice a week to check on them. The janitors are the ones enjoying them. Nice being at a school that's only 11 miles away from home. Sure beats my last commute!

BTW - for Mr. Starfish and snails should I just drop a 7 day gel feeder in for them? That's what I do for my loaches and cats in the planted tank. The automatic feeders only work well for flakes. Although I did buy the algae clump for the snails to enjoy.

You may have to have a chiller to keep temps down during the summer unless your school runs the air conditioner all summer while no one is there.

Test strips - gotta love them! Yes, water was ready for Brine Shrimp on Friday. When I say 'cycled' I automatically assume that testing during the duration is such a common practice that it doesn't need mentioning. Heating was also assumed to be an understood requirement. I apologize for assuming.

FYI - I'm not a newbie at general fish keeping - just a newbie with SW species other than Brine Shrimp.

you never know... people around here like to see things done right. To many people jump into things without knowing what they are doing and torture/kill fish and other things.

You may have to have a chiller to keep temps down during the summer unless your school runs the air conditioner all summer while no one is there.

KeKe - My room is in the wing right NEXT to the main unit. Can we say brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! (66-68F) Perfect for my planned Native fish tank - but not for anything else. And since this is the Summer School campus, the Summer Football camp campus, etc - for the county. This school NEVER shuts down. (except maybe on Sunday for church... LOL):p

Yep, I've finally found the perfect place to unleash my aquatic interests. It's close, open all the time, and the Principal is a former Biology teacher! They love how I've set up the room to look like an aquatic zoo... Especially since I've got 10 lesson plans which use the tanks..

lol Everything seems to be working out then. Maybe pick up some live rock... it will be cheap considering size and it will give the tank some character and something more for students to look at. Plus you never know what your gonna get on it. Star may be under the sand alot which will make the tank boooorrrring.

I read that Chocolate chips and live rock/reefs don't mix. Is that true or false?

BTW - this little tank wasn't supposed to be interesting. It's behind my desk on a middle shelf. It was set up just to breed brine shrimp for future study. I wasn't intending to get Mr. Starfish... LOL

Maybe I should get one of those tacky bubble powered pirate ships or treasure chests.. Or maybe a bubble moving skeleton with a sign "the last student who gave me a headache".... *snicker* What do you all think?

Ooorrr, you could add a pond, and actually put one of those real scientific skellies in there :D. Ya know, those 4 desks in the back are useless anyways. Studies show students who sit in the back tend to get worse grades :p

Test strips - gotta love them! Yes, water was ready for Brine Shrimp on Friday. When I say 'cycled' I automatically assume that testing during the duration is such a common practice that it doesn't need mentioning. Heating was also assumed to be an understood requirement. I apologize for assuming.

FYI - I'm not a newbie at general fish keeping - just a newbie with SW species other than Brine Shrimp.

You use test strips? Then you would know that they are highly innacurate.. I would suggest API's liquid regeant test kit.

Back
Top Bottom