Oops - accidently ended up in SW today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I`m a little concerned about the CC star. One of the things that`s needed in this hobby is lot`s of research. I dont think you`ve done enough on this project. According to Liveaquaria they say " A large aquarium with open access to a mature sand bed several inches in depth best recreates the preferred habitat of the Chocolate Chip Sea Star." I personally dont think your star will live long in that tank. They dont eat brine. And even if they did brine has little or no nutritional value. Liveaquaria also says "
In the aquarium, the diet the Chocolate Chip Sea Star can consist of chopped clams, shrimp, and squid." It is a carnivore and needs meaty items. Here is the link to all the info I gave you. I would rethink the project if it was me.

Saltwater Aquarium Inverts for Marine Reef Aquariums: Chocolate Chip Sea Star, Protoreaster sp.

I have an API Master freshwater kit as well as an API Master reef kit. I use the test strips during the cycle phase for general quick checks. Use the indicator + tube kits (and an electronic pH probe) once I'm ready for more than plants.

Melosu58: I understand your concern and this is one of the few times I obtained something without prior research. But it was a rock and a hard place type of thing. The starfish needed a home before the end of her shift since they can't resell returns, and I happened to have a tank readied that she deamed chemically suitable for him. If I hadn't adopted him - he most likely would've ended up dead before the aquatic expert salesperson's next shift. He would've been left in the sealed ziplock.

I've read descriptions of CC where they are described as 'reef killers', shrimp conoseurs, as well as scavengers. It appears he might enjoy the shrimp pellets that I feed to my various cats/loaches. I'll give him one tomorrow after I put him in the classroom tank. I'd actually be pleased if he can cohabitate peacefully with the brine shrimp. After all, the tank is actually for them - he's just a guest. I'm sure he'll enjoy the sand in it. It's the same pool filter sand I use in the Malawi tank and Planted barb tank.

Whew. I was hoping you would know that! (about the strips ) lol. Seeing as you are a science teacher I was a little worried for a moment! Sorry if it seems like you are getting crap, I know a lot of people on here are passionate about the hobby. Myself included, even though I am still pretty new to this. Welcome, and good luck on your CC! I hope he does good. Pics? I love pics!

This year I'll be assigned either all 10th graders or 11th graders. The grades I teach as well as the content changes from year-to-year based on what the school needs. I'm that jack-of-all-sciences who picks up the overflow. Just happens that the district is making half the high school population take chemistry this year. So there's a lot of overflow.

Our reef club, NCPARS, sponsors a saltwater system at a local high school. The system is run by their chemistry teacher. We support the project by giving them money to buy supplies such as salt, supplements and equipment. Dunno how far you want to take your project, but maybe there is a reef club in your area who would be willing to help you out.

You can see some info about the system we support here.
Our Fish

Our reef club, NCPARS, sponsors a saltwater system at a local high school. The system is run by their chemistry teacher. We support the project by giving them money to buy supplies such as salt, supplements and equipment. Dunno how far you want to take your project, but maybe there is a reef club in your area who would be willing to help you out.

You can see some info about the system we support here.
Our Fish

That's really cool. I wish my school had something like that.

On a side note, I thought the safety glass was kinda funny, but I guess it should be expected :p

Wow, very cool teacher- I am 46 and never had that level of devotion - even in college. kudos!!

Either way:

A 5 gallon tank requires no heater- ambient room temp will sufffice, provided it's not in a meat locker or the like.

As for brine shrimp - even my feather star will eat brine, why it normally doesn't- obvious- he has no ability to see it, so, for the star, it becomes entirely a life of sensory "seeking", as true with most Star Fish.

As for chem. of the tank- yea right- a 5 gallon tank with nearly nothing in it that can change water chem. seriously- come on guy's don't you know your fishes- or water chem. for that matter, evap is the only real concern. As for food- A little marine snow- problem solved.

Quoting Foster/Smith is akin to quoting Obama, for the true story of the day~ do you believe that?

I think the teach is doing a great thing.

Sorry Man, I'm with TC and Melosu. I don't think the CC is gonna be around long. The Shrmip Pellets won't cut it. It needs fresh food. Chopped fresh squid or similar.

Also Alpha:
The water chemistry changes when Brine or something else is in it because they poop and poop gives off ammonia which kills the fish. So that's why water chemistry is CRITICAL in every single tank.
Also on the Brine Shrimp, they aren't nutritous. Your feather star (which is the hardest thing to keep alive in a SW tank) and any other animal needs better food then brine.

Oddly enough my Feather Star does fine on marine snow, and simply doing what he does- filter feeding.

As for brine- I belive they were speaking of baby brine in small amounts, if there is this control, it shouldn't effect the tank for a very long time.

Nitrites will simply evaporate off.

Wow, very cool teacher- I am 46 and never had that level of devotion - even in college. kudos!!

Either way:

A 5 gallon tank requires no heater- ambient room temp will sufffice, provided it's not in a meat locker or the like.

As for brine shrimp - even my feather star will eat brine, why it normally doesn't- obvious- he has no ability to see it, so, for the star, it becomes entirely a life of sensory "seeking", as true with most Star Fish.

As for chem. of the tank- yea right- a 5 gallon tank with nearly nothing in it that can change water chem. seriously- come on guy's don't you know your fishes- or water chem. for that matter, evap is the only real concern. As for food- A little marine snow- problem solved.

Quoting Foster/Smith is akin to quoting Obama, for the true story of the day~ do you believe that?

I think the teach is doing a great thing.

...seriously? Have you ever kept a nano tank?

I wouldnt worry about live rock. Does a CC really munch on rock like a Parrot or file fish? at $3 a lb it is probably cheaper than some of those fake decorations anyway.

I wouldnt worry about live rock. Does a CC really munch on rock like a Parrot or file fish? at $3 a lb it is probably cheaper than some of those fake decorations anyway.
I don't know if CC's munch on rock, but I know that urchins do and In a tank with heavy coralline I find that to be a good thing for my tank. To much coralling and the LR becomes anerobic and the arobic bacteria dies off.IMO

Yes Jimbo7, would you like to buy a 7 gallon acrylic rectangle tank that I no longer use?

In the case of nitrite reduction via evaporation- think about the process here, in such a tank that has no other life in it, nitrites will be generally low any way, evaporation will be quick for a tank this size, there fore additional water will be required quite often- hence- nitrite reduction due to evaporation necessitating water top off's.

Additionally, Jimbo7, asked why I made my statements. Well sorta asked.

From 60 degrees mesured tap water, I tested a 10 gallon tank to see how long it would take it to arrive at ambient room temp (72 degrees)- result= 1hr and 12 mins. with a simple 12v PC fan placed near it. Please explain why a heater would ever be needed for such a tank? The lighting used would be all the heat such a tank would ever need in a normal enviroment, not to mention pumps and what ever else is contained in a small enviroment (these too create heat).

In the case of nitrite reduction via evaporation- think about the process here, in such a tank that has no other life in it, nitrites will be generally low any way, evaporation will be quick for a tank this size, there fore additional water will be required quite often- hence- nitrite reduction due to evaporation necessitating water top off's.

But the nitrites aren't evaporating away with the water, right? They're staying behind. In theory, before you replace the evaporated water your nitrites are a higher concentration than they were before the water evaporated. Then when you top off, the nitrites are back at the same level they were before.

I agree though... no life, no nitrites - other than what is found in the salt mix.

Regarding the no heater thing... I think it depends on the temperature of your house at night, and how much of a temperature swing you're willing to tolerate. If it's cold at night, with no lights, that tank is going to lose heat and drop in temp just as fast as it came up in temp.

Mitchell0605
Also Alpha:
The water chemistry changes when Brine or something else is in it because they poop and poop gives off ammonia which kills the fish. So that's why water chemistry is CRITICAL in every single tank.
Also on the Brine Shrimp, they aren't nutritous. Your feather star (which is the hardest thing to keep alive in a SW tank) and any other animal needs better food then brine.

Ammonia at ultra high levels- sure. Water chemistry is not as critical as you think, this is a mis-nomer for the most part (considering what most testing kits tell you) these companies want you to buy chemicals by way of scare tactics. And no, a feather star is not the hardest thing to keep in a well designed and maintained aquarium- far from it.

It sounds like you have tried- if so, are you of the dosing clan type? If so, consider that in and of itself.

Because I will tell you this feather stars are very "picky" about enviroment and water quality- that doesnt make them hard to keep if you have a tank that is set up properly.

BTW, My longspine Urchin knows more about water quality then any test strip, he is my tankometer, and he has nearly out grown his home- he was once 2.5 inches, he is now 10 inches in diameter.

Kurt, ask yourself what the make up of nitrite is? Then think about water evaporation. Where do you think no3 will go when attached to water vapor?

Also, water in the ocean changes temps (at reef levels) when the sun goes down, why would a gradual change in temps of say from 78f to 74f ever be of concern with a healthly tank any way?

Never bothered any of my guys and they now reside in my 155gal.

Back
Top Bottom