Open top stands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john0087

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

I was looking at a tank and stand combo at a major pet shop (chain) here in Los Angeles.
It was an All Glass Aquarium 40g, 36x18x16. I love the size of the tank but I am not to sure abou the stand.

The stand was made in MDF and the top was open. What I mean is that the top of the stand did not support the bottom glass. I know that tanks are desinged to be supported by the "frame" of the, but it still worries me.

Also, how do you know if the bottom is tempered glass? Are all of AGA's tanks built with Tempered glass bottoms? I did not see the sticker on the bottom of the tank that indicated "tempered" that I see on some tanks.

Thansk

John

Most stock aquarium stands are open on the bottom. All the stands I've had are, and I haven't had any problems. Right now I have a 30 long (36x12x16) on an open topped MDF stand and it's just fine, I also have a 55 on a Sedona stand (wood, open top). It would be almost impossible to get the top surface of the stand completely level, and the bumps and hollows (as small as they were) would put uneven pressure on the bottom of the tank which would be bad.

As for the tempered glass, smaller tanks don't need it. I'm not sure where the cutoff point is, but it would have to do with the height of the overlying water and also the width of the tank. I know 75s have tempered bottoms, I'm not sure about 55s, and I had a 45 high that did not.

Yes Stands dont cover the whole tank bottom only the frame of the tank. If my 125 is OK like that then your 40 will sure be OK. You`ll be OK

I agree! Not to worry. As for the tempered glass on the bottom if there is no sticker on the bottom of the tank I would check with AGA and find out for sure before you go drilling into the bottom!!!

Only acrylic aquariums require a stand with a full, flat top. Commercially built glass aquariums do not need it.

Although, I am not a fan of MDF. It swells and degrades with moisture.

If you are still concerned, add some egg crate to your tank before adding the substrate. It will help disperse the weight evenly across the bottom. I think youll be fine

I agree, I bought their 125G and stand. I was kind of surprised at the stand not having a "bottom", but it is up and running with no problems. They generally don't have the "bottoms" in case you have a pre-drilled tank.

Back
Top Bottom