Opinion on Visi Jet protein skimmer.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

razman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have a marineland Eclipse 3 system (29 gallon). Attempting to setup reef. so far a fully cycled tank with 1 shrimp, 1 clown, 1 damsel with 20 lb live rock. Spoke to a rep from Drfostersmith and was advised that the Bakpak 2R will not fit with the eclipse hood. They said the visi jet would. But I haven't heard anything abt this protein skimmer and hence the post. Does anyone have any experience with this skimmer? how is it?

Btw, I just got more live rock from www.tampabaysaltwater.com and believe me, shocked is the word to describe the rock. Amazing absolutely amazing.. those f* LFS has been ripping me off ... I am so glad I joined aquariumadvice.

Thnx

While I have no personal experience with this skimmer, I know several people who have tried them. None of them had anything good to say about it. For a small HOB skimmer, I'd check into a Prizm or a Seaclone. The Aqua C Remora is the best HOB (IMO), but I doubt it would fit either.

I personally owned a Visa-jet for about 2 days. It was JUNK! You might as well just throw your money in the trash, and save on the shipping.

Howard

I have a visi jet 100, and I would like to throw it off of the roof of my house and run it over with my truck. Unfortunately I cannot do this because it would fly apart in the air, on the way down, and be lost. Apparently "friction fit" was good enough for the engineers, who may have been drinking heavily when they designed this unit. So in summary, I do not like my visi jet 100. Anyway when I get another skimmer, if I ever do, I will get some kind of HOB skimmer because I would not like to have a large piece of pipe jutting up out of my tank. :soap:

thnx for the response. thank goodness I didn't end up buying it. Anyway, this marineland eclipse equip really stinks. I don't think it was ever meant for reef. I plan to discard it and use glasstop and 2 65W strip light with NO skimmer for the time being. I shall faithfully replace 15-25% water every 2 weeks. would that be enough?

we have an eclipse system on our 25gal freshwater tank and we are pleases with it for that, but i dont really think it would do well with a reef. i would go like you said with a glass top and a good skimmer that will now fit and LR and a DSB for bio.

I know I don't follow the pack here but... I have 5 tanks 4 FW 1 SW, I never do water changes, I just add as water evaporates. I just make sure that the nutrients,algae,and junkivores are all functioning as they do (or close) in the wild. Cuz, in the wild, water changes don't happen, it just gets "topped off" with rain :) My LFS reef guy never does either and hes been reefin for 20yrs. Levels are great great crystal clear. If you have to keep doing water changes due to elevated nitrates nitrates ammonia etc, it means, in my very humble opinion, that there are biological measures you could take to eliminate or partially that need and give yourself and your fish a break, and allow your tank to retain the nutients and microalgae that it is generating. I have a 70 fresh with huge bioload (seriously breeding 3-4 types of plecos AND guppies at the same time, like crazy, I have to scoop a bunch out and sell them every couple months) ) I just plant it well have serious gas exchange going on (lots of circulation) the water actually smells sweet, like fresh rainwater. There is a LOT of partying and breeding going on in this tank. I never ever change that water. My SW is the same too. OK you can all throw cans and bottles at me now. :oops:

What do you have in your SW ? After reading thru some of the posts here, and other sites, my understanding is that you could get away by not a protein skimmer but its better to have one. water changes are a must atleast 10-15% every 2 weeks to maintain good quality.

Hi,

SW has 40 red legged hermits, 40 various snails (astreas, etc) 4 yellowtail damsels 1 banded coral shrimp 1 lawnmower blenny. The damsels enjoy picking up rocks and dragging them around to make little "homes" I am finding. :) Thanks for the reply. Erik

I might add though, that my evaporation rate is very very fast, I leave covers open and have much surface turbulence and run about 78F. I add 5 gallons a week to the 70 just for reference. So maybe thats how I am getting away with it. Sorry I know that seems really weird, I don't expect anyone else to follow suit, because water changes are certainly a good idea. :) cool beans and peace, Erik
Oh and PS I went ahead and skimmed with fresh skimmer, you were right, I got oily gunky foam out of the cup. I will skim once a week now.

Back
Top Bottom