Opinions on bristle worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stephanie

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering what you guys think about bristle worms. I have heard good things about them and bad things about them. I have quite a large population of them in my tank, and I know that they rid the sand of uneaten food. I saw a HUGE monster bristle worm last night. If all the worms get that size, its going to look quite scary in my tank after dark. I have no problem with leaving them there, as long as they pose no threat to my fish. I've seen some of the fish suck smaller worms into their mouths and spit them back out like its no big deal, but I've also seen my cleaner shrimp step on a worm and jump straight up like its surprised or something. So what do you think about these worms?

It was probably about 5 inches long and about as big around as a drinking straw. It was gray in color. Most of the ones that I have are pink.

5" HaHa, child's play :D

Meet Bubba:
Bubba%20on%20Steroids.jpg

In the picture he is stretched out to close to a foot long, but is normally just a plump 8" or so. His "little" brothers are catching up fast. They do an amazing job at cleaning up extra food, and I have little doubt that they could save a tank if a fish was to pass overnight unnoticed.

I agree with Hoops and Keven they are great scavengers and detritus eaters. Here a pic of one a friend down the road caught, It was just under 7 feet long. Its not a bristle but a memeber of the eunice family but a huge worm all the same to find in your tank

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back
Top Bottom