Opinions on buying used tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skae310

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found what I think is a decent deal on craigslist and I need to know your opinions.
-55g tank with overflow
-30g sump
-custom built stand (nothing crazy nice but it works)
-protein skimmer (didnt say brand,but it looks cheap and I cant seem to identify it in comparison to others online)
-2x koralia powerheads (dont know which ones)
-300 watt heater
-mag5 return pump

He wants $250 for that.

He said he can keep it up and running with water so I can make sure it all works and does not leak. That in general seems like a decent deal, even if the protein skimmer is crap. I wanted a 40 breeder, but didn't want to drill and I think I can deal with the smaller footprint.

In addition, he also has an LED light for it. It's described as 48x3 watt light with two ballasts and he will give it to me for $150. All I know is his description. From what I can tell it looks very blue from pictures but he didn't list the brand or anything. From the pictures of his tank he was growing at least lps under it. Hard to tell how well it was going because resolution was bad, but it looked to work. If the light isnt powerful enough could I just supplement with more LED later on or mix with t5ho?

I am looking at it today. I want to know your opinions on whether or not to get the light and in general if its a good deal. I know this may be tough as you have such little information on the light and such.

As far as the tank and sump go it sounds decent. I will say if your willing to wait your better off getting a 75 gallon as the 55 is only 12" front to back which is a bit tight for doing your rockscape and the 75 is 18". That extra 6" is a big difference. As far as the LEDs go if they are radion or AI sol then $150 is worth it, if they are cheap no names it may be best to pass depending on a couple things. If they are taotronics dimmable and it is 2 pendants, worth it. If they are pharos with 2 pendants also worth it. If they are any other brand they may not be worth buying, do a quick google search and post here to find out more about them.

Taos are 55x3 watts. So it's not them. 2 ballasts im confused by that since LEDS have no ballasts. At least none I've dealt with. How much live rock does it come with. Can you post the Craigslist posting.

By ballasts maybe he is referring to the power pack/transformers. Could be a razor but I doubt it, only led I know of with a remote ballast. If it is razors then it's worth it.

Yeah I am probably going to replace the skimmer, but I figure it would give me something to start with. I asked him about the lights. If I get a response before I meet him at 4 I will post it here. Thanks for your help!

Thats what I assumed. He said they are bridgelux LEDs. My plans as of now is to mainly grow LPS and softies. Would buying this be worth it to hold me over for a while until I have the funds to either add more lights to supplement or to buy a whole new fixture? Or should I just hold off?

The skimmer looks like a seaclone or similar (crap), but I don't see how you are going to be able to fit a much better one in that sump without cutting some of that euro-bracing away.
IMO, this guy already has this system and realized he needed something bigger/better, so he's selling it. I feel that you are going to be feeling the same way about it in a short time. Someone before me mentioned the front to back dimension- the footprint of a reef tank makes or breaks it.
I would rather have either a 40 breeder, or a 75, as mentioned.

I realize the downfall of the width. I was looking into both 55 and the 40 breeder because that's around the size I want. I live in a pretty small house and the width to the 55 is somewhat helpful in keeping it closer to the wall and taking up less travel room. The 6 inches I lose in the tank I'll gain in front of the tank. I worked with a 14g for a couple years so the width was similar. It's just like 3 of my old tank side by side. Aqua scaping wasn't real fun but I managed to get good at optimizing the space. As for the sump I'm not crazy about his design. I have debated making my own depending on the space the stand has, but that might be down the road when I have the funds and the time. It's a tough decision and I think I'm gonna base it off how it looks in person and what the seller has to say about it.

Back
Top Bottom