Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2004, 03:23 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Not sure I'd pick the MJ1200s over the 900s.... (fwiw I have 1200s now).

The 900s run 85% flow, with about 40% of the electrical draw. If I were starting new I'd go with 9s.

I think 2x230gph plus the return from his cannister (take that media out! btw ) will give him close to 10x turnover.

Adding a sump with return pump would be nice...

Also be careful with the sand at HD - make sure its calcium based, not sillicate based. Most of them will say "contains no sillicates" on the bag somewhere.

Old 12-08-2004, 08:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to arminkropp
Well called today and got the maxi-jet 900's swapped for the 1200's(no charge!)

Another question I had was that me LFS told me I can use a product named ammovec(sera brand) to kick start my cycle. read on the bottle that it contains the bacteria that come after ammonia breakdown, does this sound right? skip my first stage in my cycle?

thanx
AK

Old 12-08-2004, 08:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'd skip any "cycling enhancement" products. Bottled bacteria doesn't really save you much time - I know you're ready to get started, but if you can find a tank in your area and get a cupful of their sand you will have 10x the bacteria and diversity as the over-the-counter additives.

just my 2c.

Tags
first sw, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com