Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2004, 10:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to arminkropp
opinions on my first SW tank???

My first SW tank! I've waited a long time for this.
Here's what I'll be setting up with

50 Gal tank
2x 150W Visitherm Heaters
Instant Ocean Salt
2xMaxi-Jet 900 powerheads (230Gph/each)
Remora Aqua C skimmer
Fluval 305 Canister filter( got it free with my tank so why not)
2-3" sand bed
stock Lighting for now(1x 10000K@30W 1x 12000K@30W)

I've heard that I can put LR in after a day of initial setup? Is this true?
I want to get 40Lbs to start
CF will be my first upgrade

any suggestion or comments?

Old 12-06-2004, 10:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
yeah you could add the LR the next day... although I would wait at least a week to prevent die off. Make sure you use argonite sand for optimial performance.

You may not have enough flow with the powerheads you got there. you might want to upgrade to a larger size.

40 lbs of LR is a good start but you will need closer to 90 lbs before its all said and done. I would order mine frome Liverocks.com if I were you. great stuff there. (check out my gallery to see what it looks like.)

What about a fish wish list?

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 10:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

as far as sand goes, I was told I could go to Homedepot and get Tropical sand?

As far as fish
Damsels
clowns
wrasses
angels

other suggestion?
Old 12-06-2004, 11:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you haven't already, upgrade to the Maxijet 1200's. They are worth every penny, and you will get the filtration you are needing vry quickly. Once you get the LR going, you won't need the canister. However, you can use it to run carbon every now and then. Sounds like you are on the right track. Good luck!

Mike
Old 12-06-2004, 11:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm guessing that i should get a clean up crew and maybe a gobi.
sound right?
Old 12-07-2004, 12:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would wait on the Goby (3-6 months) and get some critters. However, wait until the tank is completely cycled before adding any livestock. Use the LR to cycle your tank and you will be fine.

Mike
Old 12-07-2004, 02:04 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
amen on using the LR to cycle the tank. after the tank is cycled you can add the clean up crew, and start adding fish a few months down the road.

i think its a good idea to run some sort of power filter, its an ideal place to house carbon (as salttanker mentioned), as well as other media such as phosban, etc should the need ever arise.

as far as the sand goes, make sure it is argonite (calcium) based. you can find this out by putting a sample of the sand in a cup of vinegar- if it reacts, it is theright kind, if it doesnt, its not. southdown is a popular brand of playsand that is appropriate.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:51 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

i figured that I would use 2 frozen shrimp to cucle. Should I use LR instead?

thx
Old 12-07-2004, 10:22 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
You probibly don't want the damsels, they are nippers. I have seen them kill Clowns before.

You will want 2 Clowns. (if your getting percs or Ocellarius clowns) Clowns do better in pairs. (plus they look so cute!)

Angels are nice But you will need to watch it. Most Get way to Large for a 50 gallon. There are some very pretty smaller angels that would work great though. Which one did you have in mind?

As far as clean-up Crew goes, You will need more than one fish. Shrimps, Hermit Crabs, and Snails are all a must to keep your tank clean.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 02:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
you can also use the shrimp to cycle, its just a matter of creating an ammonia source to fuel the nitrogen cycle before adding fish. dieoff on LR will provide that, as will decaying shrimp.

Tags
first sw, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com