Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-26-2003, 10:29 PM   #11
steve-s

Lyretails are one of the easier to get aquainted with aquarium foods, but I do not know how hard it will be for you to find them.

The other concern is will the female change to male. :P

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-27-2003, 11:40 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
worth a look it is a beauty and owner posted tips on anthias.:
http://www.moyesreef.com/fish/Anthias.html

and from this site:http://www.netpets.com/fish/referenc.../anthias2.html

These fish are best kept in a small harem of one supermale and five females. They should be placed in an aquarium no smaller than 100 gallons. Lonely specimens will generally not do well.

Since Acropora is their favorite coral they will do real well in tanks where this coral is present but this is not a requirement. More important is the size of the tank and the feeding of plankton.

Should you place all females in a tank you may very well observe the sex change mentioned earlier. This may take several months before it actually happens though. The fishes first need to get accustomed to their environment, fortify themselves and be generally free of stress. Do not keep Anthias with aggressive fishes. This will continuously stress them and may cause them to jump out of the tank.

Daily if not twice daily feeding is a must. Frozen plankton can be used. In aquariums with plenty of live rock they will derive some food from the animalcules that inhabit such rock. This is not sufficient though, and supplemental feeding is a must.

Caves of some sort in the aquarium are a plus but having branched coral is better. Lighting should be moderate to high but need not be metal halide type, unless of course you also keep corals in the tank that need such lighting.

from:http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...d=21&pCatId=54

The Lyretail Anthais does best when kept in a species-specific tank of at least 125 gallons for a group. Males are best kept alone with several females, or singly. The Anthias dwells in the middle of a tank but appreciates the availability of several hiding places.

this is some of the research that i had done that lead me to believe that my 75 was not suitable..i guess i am not willing to risk killing them to find out.

http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2003, 12:43 PM   #13
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrmc4
this is some of the research that i had done that lead me to believe that my 75 was not suitable..i guess i am not willing to risk killing them to find out.
Rather harsh words I think and not warranted. I have also done my research along with actually knowing those who have had success with what I have suggested above. They will live quite happily in pairs or the single female I suggested.

The tank size rating is based on the premis of the "harem". Having a single or paired Lyretail in the 50 gal would not be "killing" anything as you suggest. What you have read is purely generalization.

The "moyes" link provided suggests that some do better in these assosiations. His only experience was with bartlets and bi-colors of which I would not even recommend due to their hard to acclimate nature even in groups.

Everyone is entitled to share and pass on their knowledge in hopes that others will do well and further the hobby, but it is not their right for such blatant abuses.

Regards
Steve
Old 07-27-2003, 12:51 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
i did not mean the words to sound harsh just was explaining how i came to that conclusion and basically saying not a good risk taker love those fish however do not feel comfortable because of that info i am having a very hard time finding any fish i am real comfortable with for the 75 seems each fish has a reason i should not go with it most problems are finding colorful nonaggressive non jumpers,hard to find feel free to offer suggestions and sorry it is hard to type a tone of voice and expressions,not trying to be harsh just sharing my own frustrations
http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 10:37 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for your opinions on keeping anthias.
-::- ((.*

Compaired to men....whatever women do must be done twice as hard to be thought of half as good.
swishyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 04:50 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ya know what I think I've found a better fish for me than an anthia. Their hardier, cheaper & just as beautiful. The filamented Flasher wrasse.

So how would this look;

Filamented wrasse
yellow headed jawfish
3 green chromis
red headed goby
royal gramma (added last into the tank)

Compaired to men....whatever women do must be done twice as hard to be thought of half as good.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:13 PM   #17
steve-s

A flasher wrasse would be a great choice, if solo I would recommend the male. You may also wish to re-think the addition of the goby though.

As a general rule, wrasses and gobies usualy do not mix well. They have very similar traits and feeding habits which could "set off" the wrasse and I think there would be a good chance the goby would not survive. I have had personal success with blennies however, but I would still urge caution.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-28-2003, 08:59 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aww man, we were going to go a flasher and a green clown goby in ours, so much for that idea :/
Salt4Us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 09:04 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Everyone else I've asked says the list is fine. No one mentions a problem with the wrasse & goby.

Old 07-29-2003, 01:24 AM   #20
steve-s

Every goby I have ever placed with a wrasse has been torn to pieces, literally. I gave up after the second attempt.

You can move forward with the list if you feel the advice recieved from others is valid. I quite honestly hope you get it to work and prove me wrong.

Keep us updated as to how well it works out. I would be quite interested.

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com