Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-23-2003, 10:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Opinions on my fish list

Kole tang or bi color angel or black nox angel (dwarfs)
royal gramma
lyratail anthia or 2 orange striped cardinals
3 green chromis
redheaded goby or hifin red banded goby

this is for a 55 gal tank 50 lbs of LR & 60 lbs sand

is this too much?

Because I'll have to order my fish food online all of my fish need to eat some sort of flake, fresh seafood, frozen or dried food. I won't be doing live brine, mysis or black worms (?).

-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Compaired to men....whatever women do must be done twice as hard to be thought of half as good.
swishyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2003, 11:58 PM   #2
steve-s

Quote:
Kole tang or bi color angel or black nox angel (dwarfs)
The kole is not a good choice for that size tank. Koles are probabley one of the most active of the species and would not really fair well. Dwarfs do tend to be a little obnoxus, so add with caution as they may not do well with peaceful fish. Keep in mind they will nip any coral in the tank.

Quote:
royal gramma
Nice looking fish. Can be a little "pushy" but should be fine.

Quote:
lyratail anthia or 2 orange striped cardinals
With the possibility of the dwarf and the granmma, the anthias would be a better choice.

Quote:
3 green chromis
Personally I would skip these and choose one other single fish. With the list you have I think this would be stretching the bio load

Quote:
redheaded goby or hifin red banded goby
Either should be fine but again with the above list, the HiFin would probably fair better.

HTH
Cheers
Steve
Old 07-25-2003, 12:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

The nice little caluclator in the "Calculators" section suggests that you use no more than 11 inches of fish, not counting the tail fin, for 55 gallon tank. Just be prepared to be zealous on water changes.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to alrmc4
the anthias are beautiful fish have been looking at them myself but from what i have read you need to keep them in a rather large school with at least 4or5 females with a male to be happy so figured i better pass for my 75 unless i am willing to have them be the only fish in the tank which i did actually consider because of how pretty they are also many of the anthias are found rather deep and need it to be able to be kept on the cool side..
http://www.shutterbugs-gallery.com/forum/portal.php
alrmc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2003, 11:20 AM   #5
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrmc4
the anthias are beautiful fish have been looking at them myself but from what i have read you need to keep them in a rather large school with at least 4or5 females with a male to be happy .
Actually as long as you keep them as at least one female/male pair it should be fine. In captive settings, the male will usually tend to lose it's "showy" coloration without the female to show off to. More females just gives it a better effect and increases the possibility of mating. The same is true of flasher/carpenter wrasses.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-25-2003, 07:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for breaking it down Steve-S I think I will skip on the green chromis & the Kole. So are you saying that the cardinals gramma won't get along?

Would I be able to keep a single anthia? I keep hearing they need live foods & are hard to get to eat & that I should skip them.

Compaired to men....whatever women do must be done twice as hard to be thought of half as good.
Old 07-25-2003, 10:43 PM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by swishyfishies
So are you saying that the cardinals gramma won't get along?
The reason I say this is because the cardinals as a rule are very peaceful and skiddish. If the gramma becomes the dominant fish in the tank it may become a "holy" terror.

Quote:
Would I be able to keep a single anthia? I keep hearing they need live foods & are hard to get to eat & that I should skip them.
I would really depend on which species you choose. Many cannot be housed in smaller tank and would make for a limited choice.

I think you would have better results with a pair, but if you choose one then opt for the male. They can be hard to acclimate but if you choose ones that have been at the LFS and eating then it should be okay. The only caution would be to wait until the tank has had time to mature to offer sufficient natural grazing foods. If you are having any doubts about the Anthias, then I would definately suggest making an alternate choice.

A great alternate would be a fairy/flasher/carpenter wrasse. They can be housed in smaller tank, they are easier to acclimate and would have a similar appearance/behavour to what you are looking at now.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-26-2003, 09:41 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I was considering the Lyratail anthia whuch is what I was told is a good beginner anthia. I have looked at the flasher & carpenter wrasse & would like one, but this only being my second saltwater tank I'm still trying to stay with fish that are $20 or less for now. Those wrasse I keep seeing for $50.

Old 07-26-2003, 01:46 PM   #9
steve-s

Lyretail Anthias are one of the easier to acclimate of the species as well as being able to keep in smaller tanks (50 gal +). They do not do well in pairs though. It should be kept as a single male with a harem of females.

If keeping only one specimen, it is recommended that it be female as they are less likley to become aggressive to other tank mates. If you do get the anthias, do not mix with the above mentioned wrasses. There would be territorial and feeding aggression.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-26-2003, 10:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

yes it would be one ot the other. I did plan on a female lyretail so thats good. Are they hard to get to eat like people say?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com