opinions on UV sterilizers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEABOX

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have the maxxima hi-s ro system ive used this since the start of my tank.I have a 200g cap berlin sump w a double over flow box,a red sea berlin classic skimmer rated at 250 gal max,my return is powered by a gen x 1199 gph pump. I am using 2-chemi-pure filter mediums in the sump.I have used reef crystals salt mix from the git go. In the tank i have 25 lbs aragonite "live sand" and 30lbs of white sand (sillica) on top.My lighting is the standard 48" 40 watt bulbs (havent saved enuff for the lighting i expect to get.No live rock yet. The tank is a 90 gal. and has been running for 3 months now.I havent done a water change yet the water has been crystal clear until last week and now its growing brown algae like crazy even across the sand. Please give me your opinions on my equipment and what steps i should take to get a handle on this algae nightmare!! I have been considering to purchase a UV sterilizer do they really control algae like this ? And what do you recomend would be apropreate for my size tank models etc..

Sounds like a normal new tank algae cycle to me. I would get some live rock in there though as you will probably expeiance another algae cycle once the rock is in place. You can skip the UV what you are experiancing is bacterial. Everything just has to balance out. Give it some time.

Thanks for the advice. Should i physically remove this mess or just let it go ?? hire a clean up crew?? my tank is cycled.

Your tank may be cycled but all tanks go thorugh an algae period where different algaes grow. One will disapear than another will take its place. Then oneday everything is fine. You may go through this with just a sandbed but adding liverock may start the process allover again because you have changed the physical and chemical makeup of the tank. It is all about biological balance!

What are your water tests?

Not doing a water change in 3 months. I would avocate water changes a bit more frequent.

Back
Top Bottom