Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2010, 08:27 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg02d View Post
If you are still in the ammonia stages of the cycle, you could raise the ammonia level such that the aiptasia die. My first tank started at 8ppm ammonia. Id expect that to kill everything ...You can get pure ammonia at a hardware store.

Matt

Now theres a thought.. but what about the rest of my live rock? and my filter system? wont that take extra long to process through?

im gonna be sick of looking at dead rocks.. not what i was aiming for in this project at all..

Old 08-12-2010, 10:28 AM   #22
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

A tank full of rocks may not be fun, but it's the right way to start off. My first tank was bare or covered by a rainbow of algae for the first couple months. Instant gratification doesn't lead to long term happiness in reef aquaria.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:36 AM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

When I was cycling my tank I was told to get a rubber duckie if I needed to see something in the tank <g>.

High ammonia is no guarantee that it will kill the Aiptasia. Kalk paste, lemon juice, or hot water will work. Peppermint shrimp worked for me when the aips were small.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist

^Interesting Idea.

I spent a lot of time reading about the Berghia Nudibranch last night and spoke to a supplier. I am fascinated by those little guys. They seem to be a great option with few if any drawbacks (well other than cost... and speed). But if done correctly they look to be a solid option. The cheapest I found was 3 for about $70 shipped. They are sensitive to water quality issues and since my tank is new I don't think I will chance a $70 investment.

I ended up speaking to two suppliers both who seem to know their stuff about Aiptasia. One thing they both said over and over was to not use Aiptasia X.... Not sure why but thats what they said. They were also down on using any chemical killing methods (although they are biased Im sure)

Over the past week I have been trying to kill just one medium sized Aiptasia in my sump that has easy access. I have tried a tiny bit of lemon juice and the next day he was back out. I then tried a tiny bit of vinegar. I thought that did the trick and tried to suck him out with a turkey baster but didn't get anything. The next day he was back out - just not looking as healthy. Perhaps Im not using enough? Anyway, so last night I was looking really close at him and saw 3 more very tiny Aiptasia right near him - which I think I helped create by fighting with this guy.

So now Im back to the drawing bored somewhat. I think I will be adding two Peppermint shrimp to my system this weekend to see if that works. If not perhaps I will look into the Berghia some more (although Peppermint Shrimp are predators of the Berghia - go figure). The Berghia suppliers actually did say if the correct Peppermint Shrimp were used (Lysmata wurdemann) they would work on the Aiptasia too. I really like the idea of a more natural approach but then what do I know - this is my first time dealing with Aiptasia. Perhaps killing them off with amazingly bad water quality is the way to go.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:53 AM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

Stear clear of the Berghias. Once they eat all the aiptasia in your tank they will starve, die, and release a toxin in your tank.

I have heard of Joe's Juice being the best and healthiest commercial treatment. Did you try hitting them with boiling water?
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7 View Post
Stear clear of the Berghias. Once they eat all the aiptasia in your tank they will starve, die, and release a toxin in your tank.

I have heard of Joe's Juice being the best and healthiest commercial treatment. Did you try hitting them with boiling water?
I questioned the suppliers a lot about the "release of toxin" when they die etc... and they said these are not a toxic type of nudibranch... said its no worse than a small snail dying in the tank... Weather its true or not I don't know - but its what they both said and one pointed me to some other reading on the subject which I did not go to.

Did not try the boiling water yet.. but then I still wonder about the ones behind the rock that I can't see or get to... I will try the boiling water on the larger one in my tank and see if that works. Oh, one other method that one of the Berghia suppliers told me works well is a blow torch.. but then you have to pull the rock out of the water - and unfortunately I have some really close to some mushrooms I don't want to roast.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:04 AM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

Just looks like it sooo easy to shoot the ones you can see and simply flip the rock later and get the others. Guess I don't see the problem.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
Just looks like it sooo easy to shoot the ones you can see and simply flip the rock later and get the others. Guess I don't see the problem.
In the OP's case - yeah, makes sense.

I guess I was thinking more of rock that had corals on them.. A more established tank... rocks that were under other rocks with corals on them. I suppose someone could flip all the rocks in the tank searching for aiptasia and hope not to damage coral or stir up a mess but at some point wouldn't you want to not have to move rocks around looking for this pest?

Oh, and Im an Austinsdad too...
Old 08-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah, i am lucky (in a way) that i can still move all my rocks around as i now have double the ammount in less than a week.. im starting to think that i could take the rock back to the LFS where i got it and complain.. but that also seems like alot of work.. and whos to say that im not going to have the stuff that creates aptasia floating around in my water.

So i think ill fight.. but ill wait for my test kit and Aptasia X and have a good old go at them.. and i do like the look of pep shrimp.. so if i can have one in my tank to keep stuff at bay then id be happy with that.. but i need to get rid of the biggies soon.

i like the idea of rasing ammonia in the tank.. might be a last resort if i find myself fighting them every 12 hours..

and i havnt dismissed the blow torch idea either.. as there is nothing really special near the lil buggers.

once again thanks for everyones help.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #30
AA Team Emeritus

Any shrimp won't do well in an unstable tank. Esepcially if ammonia is present. I think you wait on ANY livestock for now and wait for your juice and test kit.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com