Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsdad View Post
Any shrimp won't do well in an unstable tank. Esepcially if ammonia is present. I think you wait on ANY livestock for now and wait for your juice and test kit.

No no no.. no shrimp till tank is ready.. but might put one in (if i can have only one) when its all up and running... but no.. not now.. will aptasia x the tank when it arrives and controll them that way untill i can start livestocking the tank at a later date..

i know i look silly .. but im really not..

Old 08-13-2010, 05:56 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Where in Melbourne are you? I'm from Melbourne too.

As for apitasia, Go to Seca Marine (Oakleigh) or Reeflections (Moorabin), They know there stuff, Been dealing with both of them for a few years now.

If your close by, I could throw a hand. As your only cycling the tank you could also remove the rock and scrub the apitasia off the rock.

dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:22 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another Aussie. Slowly, we shall takeover the forum!!!

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:42 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
Where in Melbourne are you? I'm from Melbourne too.

As for apitasia, Go to Seca Marine (Oakleigh) or Reeflections (Moorabin), They know there stuff, Been dealing with both of them for a few years now.

Heya, i am in chadstone, mt waverley side of it.. not near the shopping center.

Theres 2 LFS's that i thought i loved.. especially SECA. but when they told me to take my live rock back to the shop i got it from and buy 20 kg from them and them alone, BUT "dont come back before i have a protein filter", i kinda changed my mind on them.. the one in moorabbin is just way past my price zone. but yes.. i will be checking out their live stock when i get to that stage.

id love any help i can get.. will have to have an aussie AA meeting.. (thats the kind where you try and out drink each other.. not talk about your drinking "problems")
Old 08-13-2010, 06:45 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Regular

oh yeah.. i forgot the whole topic of this conversation.. the aptasia look sick.!!! blackish fingers and not as strong looking as yesterday.. i could have ruined my tank already!

if i cant keep aptasia healthy then there is no hope for me! hehehe

But enough fun.. i hope they are unwell.. wish my test kit and ap-x turned up today.. ill hold out hope for monday.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:52 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ahh yeah, Im from Boronia, Knox area.

I guess that'd be Rob talking to you about the LR from Seca, He comes across grumpy but when you get to know him, He knows his stuff. 27years in the trade or something.

Just pull the LR out, Keep it in SW and scrub the apitsia off if your in the cycle process! Do it before you get any livestock.

If your looking for Morphs, Macro Algae ive got some. Macro Free, Morphs at price.
dannyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:01 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
Ahh yeah, Im from Boronia, Knox area.

I guess that'd be Rob talking to you about the LR from Seca, He comes across grumpy but when you get to know him, He knows his stuff. 27years in the trade or something.

Just pull the LR out, Keep it in SW and scrub the apitsia off if your in the cycle process! Do it before you get any livestock.

If your looking for Morphs, Macro Algae ive got some. Macro Free, Morphs at price.

It was a big but younger bloke i havnt seen before.. but anyways.. ill pull my pride in before i need livestock..

ive have some spare salt water.. so ill see what happens.. have the big move on saturday.. moving my old 30'' fresh tropical out to a mate and hopefully sliding the new one about half a meter across the floor as full as we can move it.. but will go slowly on that one.. dont wanna crack the new tank.. thankfully im in the glass business so i know how it doesnt like to be handled..

will be in the right place then and ill be able to start doing things like substrate and more LR bit by bit etc once its in the right place and i have a handle on the Aptasia..

Now for the learning curve.. dont know what morphs or macro alge is yet.. more concentrating on Rocks and aliens..
Old 08-15-2010, 05:03 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Regular

Orright.. time for an update..

Once again.. thankyou to everyone for all your fantastic help so far..

Still waiting on the ol aptasia x to arrive in the post.. hope tomorrow or tuesday.. will also mean i have test kit at my disposal..

Had my old tank picked up on saturday and drained half my new one into tubs and moved it into place.. (thank god for setting tank up on tiles) and it only cost me 20 cents to level the tank properly. (stuck a 20 cent coin under the foot of the cabinet)

got 10kg of coral sand.. (real fine stuff) and put it in today.. starting to look like a real tank.. see pic..

Stay tuned for aptasia x success stories!!!!

oh and thanks to Elliot from the LFS in mentone today! you rock and arent gonna make your boss happy by telling the truth!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02527.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	24987  
Old 08-15-2010, 05:29 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

What'd he say?

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 05:40 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell0605 View Post
What'd he say?
the store has a beautiful 3ft tall reef setup that states it doesnt have a Proteine skimmer in it. (on the info sheet on the wall)

after nearly every LFS that "stocks" skimmers has told me not to bother without one.. i asked him how they had such a beautiful reef without one..

his reply " oh you dont need a skimmer.. especially in a 130L tank where water changes are only about 20-30 L a week to fortnight".. !!!

i asked him "why then does everyone tell me not to bother without one?"
he told me "its because LFS's love selling them"

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com