Opinions Please... (i havnt heard enough yet)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
things are looking good..
PH 8.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate ( i think its 1.. the card goes from 0ppm to 5ppm in one colour step.)

going to try a fish this weekend..
and just went CRAZY on aptasia with the ap-x

Watch out to much aiptasia X will raise your PH levels.

you can also add some RO Water ive heard..
and i dont mind if the ph raises a little bit as i will be doing a PWC before adding any livestock anyway.. so i can adjust it a bit.

thats why i would like to get a good handle on the aptasia before adding anything to my tank.. it appears that peppermint shrimp are quite hard to get here in melbourne.

during a re-design of my tank tonight.. i decided to knife and blaze some of the larger apitasia that i had..

will monitor the results.. but a word of warning.. the larger ones can spit what feels like acid onto your skin and eyes.. bad juju

Are PWC the only way to bring down Ph?
There are lots of ways to reduce PH. But the safest way is a PWC. Any acidic solution will bring your ph down. Club soda, and anything with CO2 in it. vinegar, but the real effort is to keep it up to ~8.2-8.4 ppm's in out saltwater tanks.

during a re-design of my tank tonight.. i decided to knife and blaze some of the larger apitasia that i had..

will monitor the results.. but a word of warning.. the larger ones can spit what feels like acid onto your skin and eyes.. bad juju

Whoa, dont cut, rip, pull, smush those aiptasias! They will start new anemone from each piece you create! Keep using the aiptasia X and take it easy. Monitor your pH and stop using the stuff when it begins to drop. Can you take out the rock/s that have the jerks on them?

Also, killing too many at once may cause an ammonia spike...

Matt

Whoa, dont cut, rip, pull, smush those aiptasias! They will start new anemone from each piece you create! Keep using the aiptasia X and take it easy. Monitor your pH and stop using the stuff when it begins to drop. Can you take out the rock/s that have the jerks on them?

Also, killing too many at once may cause an ammonia spike...

Matt

Sorry Matt,
should have made that clearer.. During the re Design of my Rock only tank i took out the rocks that had the buggers on them and flamed / torched then removed the bigger ones.. and torched the area again...

(y)

Ok folks! Another ID if possible and a photo of my new reef rock setup.

this guy has me stumped.. hes got a cupped disk and really short fingers.. is he an aiptasia trying to trick me? they are crafty buggers..

and heres the way my reef face looks now.. i think im getting closer to a natural looking reef.. the wife doesnt like it tho.. i managed to half hide her 2 fav rocks.. :mad: but then again i am male.. so this was bound to happen. :puppydogeyes:

Attachments

• DSC02532.jpg
    DSC02532.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 100826.jpg
    100826.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
It's a Hawaiian palys that is only found on Maui that is so dangerous. It was used by the Hawaiians much like the poison dart frog in the Amazon.

Guess I better stop eating them!:lol:

For real though, how bad are they if some slime gets into a cut? I once was bothering my zoas and got some slime on a sore on my finger. I felt ill later that night. After reading these posts, could that be the cause, or am I being a hypochondriac?:p

Guess gloves should be used, huh?

Matt

i rekon theres prob about a thousand things in a salt water aquarium that you wouldnt want getting into a cut on your body.. but yeah.. theres a fair chance that this made you feel a little sick.. id also consider that theres about a thousand things in a cut on your finger that you wouldnt want in your salt water tank either.. im on the search for some arm lenth gloves .. like the ones that farmers use to "help" Cows with.. not sure im going to find them in the metro area of melbourne too easily tho.

The good doctors sell them. Palytoxin is a real concern with Palys and Zoos, so a little preventions is well worth the price. Better "Dead" then sorry....OOPs I mean better safe then sorry. :)

If i remember you just get all the symptoms of a really bad flu and the stomach flu. Always wear gloves and eye protection when cutting zoas. I had a friend lose vision in his eye for a day or so after getting palytoxin in there.

Back
Top Bottom