Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-10-2010, 07:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Unhappy Opinions Please... (i havnt heard enough yet)

Hi all from melbourne australia.

So heres the deal. I purchased my new tank on saturday after 2 weeks of reading, googling, listening, and screaming and kicking!

Its now tuesday night. I have my tank (Aqua One 620T stock standard out of the showroom with suitable heater) and a strong desire to kill, maim, explode my 4-5 LFS'..... im assuming this is normal???

i have 6 KG of live rock.. (sorry.. aussie talking.. and talking in metric) on which i have about 8 Aptasia.. one big one and 7 ranging from med to small....

i purchased salt water from the local bay from areas that i know to be ok/clean. (if the LFS is telling me the truth about its origions.)

SO... back to my angryness... i read the net and it tells me im never going to get rid of the aliens in my tank.. i hope the cycle will kill them.. and my LFS (my most trusted one so far) tells me to take the live rock back and start again.. oh and by the way dont come back till i have a protine skimmer....

am i kidding my self?? I have seen beautiful reef setups with no Protine skimmers.. can i not do this without a magic wand?? do i use Aptasia X?? do i find a sick person somewhere and beg them to have a syringe (as my local chemist has already told me they dont stock them.. B/S!) and shoot em full of lemonjuice/vinegar?

can i bomb the tank with something as im only 3 days into my cycle?

please .. help a poor (especially after paying for this setup) man dig himself out of his brand new addiction..

Kind regards..

P.S there is some humor in this post.. i have no desire to actually hurt anyone.. but im sure the smarter ones among you have already worked this out.. but i am at my witts end at the moment.

Grug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Joe's Juice Aiptasia & Majano Anemones Solution

Most swear by this stuff for aptasia. Comes with a syringe too!

What are your water readings on the ammonia and nitrite so far. Watching those during your cycle, right?

And of course, Welcome to AA!!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
ive heard of JJ.. not really available in Australia tho.. can get online but customs might get angry at me..

see.. LFS said dont worry about testing water during the 4-6 week cycle untill the end.. will order testing kit at the same time as i try to get JJ or similar..

and.. Thanks!
Grug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with AD. This is a most likely a really good start. Go slow, be patient, and try not to get too frustrated. Joe's juice or a homemade kalk paste should work on the aiptasia. I've run both a 20G and 50G (no clue what that would be in your crazy metric math based speak) without skimmer so it is entirely possible. It will hinge on you doing weekly changes.
Question everything you see on the internet. ~ George Orwell
HN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:38 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
Since there is nothing else in there, I doubt you'll need the accuracy of a syringe. Take some RO/DI water and boil it, suck it out with a turkey baster really quick they get as close to the thing as you can and blast em. A couple treatments of that should take care of them.
Links to old builds:
12DX LED Build
Frag Tank (Fixed Link)
Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:41 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I really prefer to see the ammonia and nitrite levels go up and down, and what exactly the reading are to know how well my tank cycles. I'd recommend that highly instead of just waiting for 4-6 weeks and thinking the cycle is done and was successful.

Either totally or somewhat uncured rock with die-off (decaying matter) to create a higher ammonia reading, or you may have cured or semi cured rock withouth die-off that gives you no ammonia reading . Either way is good, but I'd prefer to know which if it were my tank.

And like Jimbo said, no worries about other things in the tank. And so what if killing aptasia causes die-off. Go for it.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
Aiptasia-X is readily available for Aiptasia sp. removal mate.
StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Everything your looking to do is reasonable, but as with all things there are drawbacks. Running a tank with no skimmer means you have to be on top of weekly water changes to get the dissolved organics out of your tank. If you don't, you'll experience algae problems constantly.

As far as the aiptasia, you have a few options to go with. You can go the route of using Aip-X or a similar kalk type solution and inject them. That method is proven to work. If the aip's are only on one rock, you can just toss it into your garden landscape outside, no harm done. Another thing you can do if you want to keep the rock, is toss it in a pan and boil it. Boiling the rock will kill the aips, but will also kill everything on it essentially turning it into base rock.

My all time favorite method was one my friend, who is a welder, came up with. He took the rocks out that had them and blasted the area with the pests with his trusty blow torch. Hasn't had any since lol. Personally, since budget is an issue I would just boil the bad rocks and start them off fresh. They will reseed in time with the existing rock in the tank and it's a free treatment. Good luck with your tank!
"If your wife ever asks how much something was for your tank, just tell her you got it on sale and you had to have it! She'll understand"

Krypt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to harmy4993
I recommend a test kit for this reason. How you going to know when you are cycled without testing? You dont have to test every day. Test once when you get the kit. Then depending on the results you can test a week later or two weeks later.

Two best advice i can give you is this:

Nothing, and i mean NOTHING good happens fast in salt water. Algea, ick and other gunk may show up over night but it likely built up over time wiyhout you knowing. And its not going away over night. So dont panic. And dont try and rush things. There are no miracle over night cures for anything.

2nd. Research, research, research. Always know what your buying. Dont impulse buy anything alive or it could eat or destroy everything else you paid for.

3rd tip is a bonus tip. When in doubt water test and water change. New clean water will never hurt. If something seems strange, then do water tests then do a water change, then post on the forum.

And sorry this isnt a tip but we require pictures, love pictures. Yes we have tanks, we have lights, we have skimmers, we have all seen a million clown fish but we still want to see yours .
Daniel M.
follow my 75 gallon reef thread and say hello
fan of http://www.reefcleaners.org/
harmy4993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
What about the Aiptasia that you can't access? If there are some that you can see on top of the rock etc... would it be safe to assume that there may be some you can't see or get to under or on the back side of the rock? I have been looking into this as well as I have found a few on my new live rock too.

One reason I like the idea of a peppermint shrimp (even though there are no guarantees) it can reach into areas where our hands/syringes cant.

Someone told me that its likely that a peppermint shrimp will take care of an Aiptasia problem (not always - but usually) especially if the tank is not fed with foods very often. So I was thinking about getting a peppermint shrimp first or early on and making sure to keep him nice and hungry in the beginning.

There is also the Berghia Nudibranchs which specialize in eating Aiptasia... problem is though that once out of Aiptasia they have nothing to eat and a dead Nudibranch is not a good thing in a tank.

Idaho-Tank is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com