Opinions wanted: help me select an overflow box!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doublenerds

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am planning my first FOWLR tank with aspirations of converting to reef in a year or so, when tank is well established.

I have a 75 gallon tank and am getting ready to build a DIY 30 gallon sump/refugium. Drilling is not an option for this tank so I will need an overflow box.

I'd love to hear your experiences, good or bad, with HOB overflows. I'm interested in what brand you use, how long you have used it, overall satisfaction, and pros and cons of the unit.

Thanks so much for taking the time :)

the good, you don't have to drill

the bad, you're more likly to over flow, and require tuning of the return pump and overflow so either your tank or sump don't over flow.

why isn't drilling it an option?

i have an addon overflow box and i didnt have to tune anything i just got a pump that matched the max of the overflow no problems at all i frequently shut it off to do water changes and it never overflows as long as theres a siphon hole on the return your shouldnt have any problems

are you sure its all tempered glass? most aquariums only have the bottom tempered the rest is normal glass, but who knows

If you cannot drill Eshopps has some nice overflow boxes in many sizes for a decent price. I got the Nano for my 29 gal tank and it's pretty quiet too.

I use CPR aquatics constant siphon O/F boxes, they are awesome and after a year of use its still working just fine.
your sump, what is the holding capacity of it?

I think you will be perfect with a cs102(I got em both, upgraded to the 102 when I set up my 75g, now works friggin awesome) magdrive 9.5 pump and around 10-13g of sump capacity.

THe cpr's are quiet yet require a lift pump that is constantly on, mine makes ZERO noise as its at the bottom of my stairs and my bedroom door is at the top of the stairs and I hear nothing.

Here is my tank, its freshwater but here is the wet/dry with 9.5 MD
21j7w2a.jpg

Here is the overflow box
5kncdt.jpg

Aquacave has em at a decent price.

your sump, what is the holding capacity of it?

Thanks for the suggestions. My tank is 75 and the sump is en route, it should be 25-30 gallons (minimum 25 but not sure of exact capacity because I am not sure of the exact height of each chamber divider). I was planning on a 400 gph return pump and an overflow with slightly higher capacity, but I feel I need to do a bit more research on sump water flow before I nail down a purchase.

I have read horror stories here and there of overflow boxes being the cause of floods and I want to avoid any brands that are problematic over the long term. I will set max fill level for sump before going live. Will doing so prevent all chance of overflow box-related problems?

the main problems are return pump not strong enough,overflow drain pipe size too small,lack of maintenance on pump.As long as you sort these out you shouldn't have a problem,I've used the eshopps for nearly 2 years and have never had a problem.

Back
Top Bottom