orange-rust color on base rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mushaney

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 75 gallon saltwater tank that is 6 weeks old just starting . cycled my tank for 1 month before added 3 blue chromis 10 blue leg hermit and 10 snails and now have this orange rust color on my base rock inside of tank walls on my sand i have never used tap water i have a r.o. in my house i have tested my r.o. and its below 10 ppm new filters and all i have done saltwater before and not seen this my levels are all fine let me know if you know so i can learn more

Sounds like a diatom bloom . Common for new tanks ,while the biological levels start to grow and level off .. It is normal and will go away on its own , to help it along you can do your water changes of 10%-25% weekly and usually it will decline in a couple to few weeks ... It will respond to the nutrient levels in your water it is normal :)

I agree. The brown rust colored stuff is typically diatom blooms. One thing that I have learned over the years is don't stir it up, and let it die on its own. I agree that water changes will help reduce diatoms as well. Make sure water flow is as strong as it needs to be (75x10=750gph). HTH

Regards,

Mike

Back
Top Bottom