Orange Turbos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CluelessInNY

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone seen these guys? My LFS had a bunch yesterday and I wanted to grab a couple, but he told me they can be tough keep alive. Not sure why he would say and blow a good sale unless he was right. Does anyone know if a newb like me can have a couple? They are VERY cool looking!

U mean the orange chestnut turbo perhaps? From the Caribbean and eat filamentous algae and diatoms. Never heard they were any more trouble than any other turbo. They are smaller than Mexicans though.

If that's what you were talking about anyway

Not sure Mandown...he pointed me toward the Mexican Snails, which he said were voracious eaters. Maybe because I told him I have only 10 snails in my 20 gallon?
I might go back and grab a couple. IF you haven't seen them before, they are beautiful. They look almost like one of those Orange Cream popsicles in color :)

Probably the "red footed turbo" Norrisia norrisi?Was just the fleshy part reddish? They are a cold water species which is why they aren't that long lived in aquariums. I tried one once a while ago before I knew what they were and it lived only a few weeks.

I've seen those locally also (orange shelled, turbo looking things). The LFS that had them said they were "trying them out" but weren't having much luck with them. Even though I wasn't acting like I wanted to buy one, they pretty much told me not to buy any - tough to keep alive. When I've gone back to that fish store, I've noticed there are a LOT of nice orange shells for their hermits to choose from now!

CluelessinNY... one thing about the coloration of snail shells - once your coralline algae starts taking off in your tank, it really doesn't matter what the shell's color is because it'll be covered with coralline within a few months. So that pretty orange shell won't stay pretty very long.

Thanks guys.
Kurt, I have already noticed my hermits getting algae growth on their shells :( I guess it's a good point. My snails will look all gnarly after a while anyway.

Thanks for the artcile CaptainA...I've already had to reach in and "right side up" my snails a few times this week :) Supposedly, the Mexicans can right themselves.

moz-screenshot-1.jpg

Google Image Result for http://www.petsource.org/BreedImages/OrangeTurboSnail.jpg
moz-screenshot-2.jpg
Is this it. I put these in my tank when it was about 4 months old. No one told me they were tough and I still have all but one of them. I bought 10. They stay much smaller than the regular turbos that is why I bought them in the first place (plan to have lots of corals someday). Check out my tank pics in the showcase thread and you will see all of mine. I just love how they brighten my tank, they are beautiful by snail stardards:rolleyes:.

I have a couple as well. I've had them for a couple of weeks and so far, so good. They don't seem to be as active as my margarita, astrea or mexican turbo snails though.

Back
Top Bottom