Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-15-2011, 12:50 PM   #11
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I like the prices you can get online but personally I buy mine from the LFS. I want to be able to observe the fish or coral. To see if it`s eating and if it looks good. I know there is a guarantee but I dont want to go through the hassle. I want to see with my eyes.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:49 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackfast View Post
You can always organize a group buy too; that'll get you either free shipping (for spending aminimum amount) or defer costs. I do buy sometimes from the LFS. I figure the sooner I can get the fish away from there, the better their lives will be. lol
I agree on a better life for them, I have seen way too many poor fish in bad shape. I also have a 26 gal bowfront that is freshwater and I have learned through the years of having that one what stores to stay away from.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
I like the prices you can get online but personally I buy mine from the LFS. I want to be able to observe the fish or coral. To see if it`s eating and if it looks good. I know there is a guarantee but I dont want to go through the hassle. I want to see with my eyes.
I see what you are saying and that is a very good point! I have wondered if it was best to be at the pet store to pick up the fish as soon as they arrive tho and still in a little bag to cut down on stress of being unbagged then rebagged ect. But it would be hard to see them eat and all if I were to do it that way. I am still trying yo figure out the best way to do things but I am learning.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
I personally would not get fish from places like petco or petsmart. They usually don't have the right set up (tanks and equipment) or the people to take care of saltwater fish properly. I've seen a lot of fish in bad shape in places like that. Try to find a local fish store where all they do is fish. I've also had a few good experiences with liveaquaria.com and would suggest them for large or specialty orders.
Yeah, someone from Petco was the one that told me "oh you can get a yellow tang for a 30 Gal, you see what we keep them in" Lesson learned. Sadly I love my Tang and will have to find him another home where he will have the room he needs.

Tags
lps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com