Ordering online vs LPS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltyfishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey. I am very new to Salt Water..... I bought my tank (30 gal.) from CL and got the original water and fish she had.... Everything is going good, I have learned a lot from fighting ich to getting a QT. The fish that were in the tank were very aggressive so I turned them in to the LPS being I want a more peaceful tank. I just need thoughts about ordering fish from online. From reading other forums and advise, everything my LPS has told me is wrong. Like they are more interested in making the money than helping. That tends to get very discouraging. For example they told me a yellow Tang would be fine.... so I got one and from what I read my tank is too small for him even tho he is little. Please let me know if anyone orders from online and from where? Thanks in advance =)

you are calling the LFS, lps. "local fish store". yes, your tank is way small for a tang. there are many reputable vendors on line but they are not going to know what tank you have. they are going to send you what you order. it's up to you to research the fish you like before purchasing.
live aquaria is pretty good, and they do give a bit of a description as well-
Saltwater Fish: Marine Aquarium Fish for Saltwater Aquariums

X he meant lps- local pet store like petco etc.

the only thing with online is the shipping costs, half the fish id like to buy are much cheaper than the shipping itself, so its all up to you

the only thing with online is the shipping costs, half the fish id like to buy are much cheaper than the shipping itself, so its all up to you

So true. I really would like to get corals online, but S&H from LiveAquaria.com is $35. The shipping is really expensive, but when you compare the LFS's (LPS) mark-up, depending on the animal, it might make sense spending $5-10 online (usually gas and time is worth that much).

just plan to buy multiple items and split the shipping up per item. flat rate 35 bucks is pretty cheap really. when i was selling, overnighting to certain people that weren't close to a UPS or FEDEX hub was as high as 100 dollars. then you have a styro lined box ( i made my own out of regular boxes and cut pieces of home insulation), packing peanuts, heat/cold packs. those styro lined boxes are about 8 bucks each.

Yes Petco is what I was referring too. The lady that I purchased the tank from just made the remark that she ordered all her fish online, so I was wondering the pros and cons. I have noticed on shipping tho that the only day I would be home for my shipment would be on Saturday and they up the shipping cost for that also. I have a couple friends that have tanks also so we may try to get one big order in and then like you said the shipping would not be that bad broken out per item or it may be enough to get free shipping. Thanks for the help and replys.
Oh and X I have done a lot of research on fish now after that experiance.... And from what I have found I want to go bigger than a 30 eventually, not many choices for small tanks like mine....

You can always organize a group buy too; that'll get you either free shipping (for spending aminimum amount) or defer costs. I do buy sometimes from the LFS. I figure the sooner I can get the fish away from there, the better their lives will be. lol

I personally would not get fish from places like petco or petsmart. They usually don't have the right set up (tanks and equipment) or the people to take care of saltwater fish properly. I've seen a lot of fish in bad shape in places like that. Try to find a local fish store where all they do is fish. I've also had a few good experiences with liveaquaria.com and would suggest them for large or specialty orders.

I like the prices you can get online but personally I buy mine from the LFS. I want to be able to observe the fish or coral. To see if it`s eating and if it looks good. I know there is a guarantee but I dont want to go through the hassle. I want to see with my eyes.

You can always organize a group buy too; that'll get you either free shipping (for spending aminimum amount) or defer costs. I do buy sometimes from the LFS. I figure the sooner I can get the fish away from there, the better their lives will be. lol

I agree on a better life for them, I have seen way too many poor fish in bad shape. I also have a 26 gal bowfront that is freshwater and I have learned through the years of having that one what stores to stay away from.

I like the prices you can get online but personally I buy mine from the LFS. I want to be able to observe the fish or coral. To see if it`s eating and if it looks good. I know there is a guarantee but I dont want to go through the hassle. I want to see with my eyes.

I see what you are saying and that is a very good point! I have wondered if it was best to be at the pet store to pick up the fish as soon as they arrive tho and still in a little bag to cut down on stress of being unbagged then rebagged ect. But it would be hard to see them eat and all if I were to do it that way. I am still trying yo figure out the best way to do things but I am learning.

I personally would not get fish from places like petco or petsmart. They usually don't have the right set up (tanks and equipment) or the people to take care of saltwater fish properly. I've seen a lot of fish in bad shape in places like that. Try to find a local fish store where all they do is fish. I've also had a few good experiences with liveaquaria.com and would suggest them for large or specialty orders.

Yeah, someone from Petco was the one that told me "oh you can get a yellow tang for a 30 Gal, you see what we keep them in" Lesson learned. Sadly I love my Tang and will have to find him another home where he will have the room he needs. :(

Back
Top Bottom