Ouch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill1977

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was moving my new green hammer coral tonight and it stung me on my thumb. I didn't think anything of it when it happened but now it is about three hours later and now my hole arm feels like it is weak. Is this normal?

Some people are sensitive to the stings of hammers. If the pain persists you may want to see a doctor. I would try to run hot water over your thumb for starters.

Ok, is the sting of a hammer strong enough to do any "damage" to me? I'm not going to die in my sleep tonight am I?

Not that I know of, but I dont want to say for sure, if you were alergic to it, it could do some serious damage. Everyones body is different.

How will I know if I'm alergic? Also what signs should I be aware of? I don't mean to bother you or sound like a baby but I have never been stung by a coral before and I don't know what to expect.

How will I know if I'm alergic?

IMO, you have already shown a reaction/sensitivity to the sting. If I were you, I would take some antihistimines, it's too late now for the hot water (probably wouldn't work in this situation anyway, it is good for toxins/venoms though). Keep a close eye on your breathing, and consult a physician. Allergic reactions go two ways, either they get milder the more times your exposed to the allergy or they get worse, might not be a bad idea to have an epi stick on hand.

Thanks. I woke up today and it was fine. No swelling and the pain was gone. From now on I will be more careful when I put my hands in my tank.

Back
Top Bottom