Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-09-2012, 01:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Our First Build: IM Nuvo 38g

Well, over the weekend, my family pulled the trigger on getting our first Marine tank. After taking things easy in getting the stand set up and the tank in place, last night my daughter and put the sand in and filled the tank. Here's a few pictures. They aren't the greatest, as they're taken with my iPhone, but it's the first pics in this build.

First shot is my daughter helping put the live sand in. She was trying to emphasise how heavy each of the small bags were... She's a bit of a ham:

The second pic is a picture of the filled tank. You can see the reflection of my wife in the tank, sitting in a chair just to the right of the picture.

Not surprisingly the tank is rather cloudy from filling it. Despite putting a plate on the sand, my aim wasn't great.

I don't have another picture, but the sand settled nicely overnight.

Anyway the equipment I have set up so far is the Innovative Marine 38g Nuvo Mini tank and stand, I have a heater in the back. I replaced the water return nozzles with a pair of spinstream nozzles to give a wave rhythm. The light is the Skyye LED Tablet 92w, and is probably the most expensive part of what's in the picture. I have no other filter media set up yet. The light has three different plugs coming out the back, all of which are on timers. The Moonlight and Dawn/dusk lights are on an alternating 12 hour cycles while the full daylight is currently set for an 8 hour cycle that overlaps with the dawn/dusk LEDs.

Anyway, I need to get the salinity levels up a bit and stable before adding in the live rock and getting the tank to cycle... But we have out start!

Old 05-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Nice tank, I have seen those before. Looks like a great start!

Good luck!

Old 05-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tagging alone

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

A small update. The tank cleared up nicely this morning. You can see the plate that I was supposed to hit while filling it...

As I mentioned, the salinity levels were a bit low this morning, but I had run out of salt in the filling process. After acquiring a year's supply of salt and mixing it in, I slowly added in a bit more. A few minutes ago, it was reading at 1.024... which is what I was going for.

My plan is to let things run for a few days. Hopefully Saturday will be Live Rock day...
Old 05-09-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hello! Congrats on your new aquarium, I will be following along.

I am here to help if you need it.
redsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

That tank is awsome i did the plate thing with a tall cup and siphoned in the water to the cup and it just over flowed

Ready for the aquascape!
Old 05-10-2012, 01:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

This evening I was looking at the tank and was realizing that there were a lot of microbubbles in it. The pump was also making some odd sounds followed by a rush of microbubbles shooting out of the returns. I realize part of it may be with a new tank... I also haven't put the filter media in yet... but I also realized that maybe there was still not enough water in the filter section in the back... So I added some more water to it. I even think that being in this dry climate, evaporation is going to a real challenge. So I did add some more water, which borked my salinity levels a bit. I added a titch more salt, and I will check it before heading to bed tonight. I need it stable for at least a full day before I go off and get the live rock :P

However, since Saturday is "Live Rock Day" I think we're okay for the moment.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:14 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

My tank did the same thing with low levels in the back also the filter media will help clear up the water.

How do you plan to cycle the tank?
Old 05-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Assuming the salinity is stable, I plan on adding the live rock on Saturday... If it is uncured, it may well start the cycle on its own. My LFS also provided a 3-step water prep set which may also help, but I need to read the fine print. If not, my local grocery store has raw shrimp.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sounds good! I got fully cured live rock completely covered in purple coraline then a bacterial thing and my tank cycled in 2 weeks! Way faster than i expected

Tags
build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com