Our new additions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raindrops

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone! I posted here about a month ago asking about cycling with live rock.. and someone suggested we use a jumbo shrimp. We did that and it worked perfectly, we had a spike in ammonia, etc.. then things were back to normal.

Soooo... about 2 weeks ago I went and got a pair of clownfish!!!!! Woo hoo!! I didn't want to say anything right away because I wanted to make sure they were going to be OK first. They're so cute how they are always together, I mean, ALL the time. I was afraid of the occasional bicker they were doing at first, but it seems like the bigger one has already laid down the law. The smaller one is like "yeah yeah you're the boss"!! He does this twitching thing to let the other one he is submitting (at least from what I read). Anyway, for the most part, they are inseparable!

Our next plan is to add a clearner shrimp (I love the coral banded kind), but we are trying to lower our nitrate levels first.. its around 20~ish right now. I know, not good... but we're working on it!

I promised I'd update with pics, so here we go (I hope they aren't too huge):

DSC_1791.jpg

Close1.jpg

P.S. If anyone has any good ideas on how to get those nitrate levels down to almost zero.. please share!! Any help would be appreciated.

Congrats! Very nice coloration on those fish!

Regarding the nitrate levels... water change, water change, water change! 30% water changes every couple of days until they're down where you'd like - just be sure your new saltwater salinity and temperature match the tank.

I am in that same boat with cycling and I aswell am using the live shrimp method. Seems to be working good, my only complaint is the smell from the shrimp decaying in the water can get a little foul if you leave your tank lid open hah. But very nice fish and congrats on them. I also like your live rock it looks very similar to mine you should check my post out of my tanks growing process.

Thanks for the tip! I am going to break out the gravel vac and do a water change right now.

Congrats! Very nice coloration on those fish!

Regarding the nitrate levels... water change, water change, water change! 30% water changes every couple of days until they're down where you'd like - just be sure your new saltwater salinity and temperature match the tank.

+1

Do you have a fuge? I run Cheato in my fuge and it keeps the nitrates at zero. I love my clowns they are always together as well and seems to me they are hosting in my xenia instead of the BTA that I have. Good choice!

No for the moment, there is no refuge or skimmer. We were told that for a 30 gallon with such a small bio load, it is pretty much optional stuff.... but yeah, I'm sure it would make a huge difference.

Our nitrates have been high since day 1, so I am willing to bet it has to do with our tap water. ><

So many things to get! Maybe for Christmas. *wink*

Are you using RO/DI water? If not, then it could be from the tap water.

If it's from the tap water, there is little you can do. Maybe get a good ball of chaeto. It's been known to chew through your nitrates. It won't do miracles, but it will help.

Test your Tap water for nitrates, if they are present then i would agree with Jaybird get a fuge and run some kind of macro algea or an ro/di unit. an Aqua Clear 70 HOB filter modded to a fuge would work great. IMO

Back
Top Bottom