Out of line Nit's, Amo's. What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WJH1748

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is the situation: 10/17 moved complete tank, water, sand , fish, rock. (sorry, I cant tell you anything about the history of the tank) The following are my test: 10/21 PH 7.8, Am 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 100. On 10/24 PH 8.0, Am 0, Nitrite 2, Nitrate 100. On 10/25 I did a 30 gal water change. 10/30 PH 7.8, Am 6, Nitrite 4, Nitrate 40. Is this tank going thru a "cycle"? Is this expected with the move? Should I do another water change? :? Obviously you can see i'm new to this.... Tx WJH [/code]

Sounds to me that if this is just from a move, you must have had a lot of die off. Do you have another tanks you can setup to house the fish while this tank goes through its cycle?

Unfortunatly I have no other tank. This is our first sw tank. All the fish look ok currently. Does a water change at this point stall the cycle? Should I wait it out? I've been feeding every evening around 6pm. Perhaps I should cut back to every other day? 8O Tx

If you have no othere place for the fish, I would do that water change. Being an established tank, the cycle should not be long, as there should be some bacteria there to colonize. But the fish can't be happy. But a water change may slow the cycle a bit, although this may be your only choice right now.

Also, you may consider a LFS to hold the fish while the cycle completes. They may be willing to help.

:hat:

Thanks.. I didn't ask the LFS to babyset, perhaps I will. They felt the tank was going thru a mini-cycle from the move, and that I should let it take its course without a water change. Perhaps a 15 to 20 gal water change would not slow the cycle. I'm sure it would make the fish more comfortable! Tx

Results 11/09/03

Thanks for your help. I did the water change a week ago. I checked ates, ites, NH3, and everything is near zero! It seems that the tank has mini cycled. TX agian... WJH :D

Back
Top Bottom