Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2013, 01:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

over feeding?

So i love my fish.... i feed them small amounts of mysis shrip and black worms at least twice a day. Is that too much?

Old 03-06-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it's too much, I only feed my fish once every other day. Do you have any algae problems? How big is the tank and how many fish? I think if you have top notch filtration and do large weekly water changes you could feed twice a day. Just my opinion!

Old 03-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a aquatop pro uv filtration system and a top knotch protein skimmer. The problem is the cowfish has to eat twice a day. The other fish get jealous so i just feed them all. Im worried now.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

What negative signs should i be looking for
Old 03-06-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Algae is main problem I think. I only been doing sw for yr now and was feeding mine three times aday as guy in shop told me this and had alot of red algae growing but it's nearly gone now but still feed them twice aday but give flake in moring and frozen in evening. It's really down to u how much as if u are only giving small amounts and doin water changes every wk u sould be ok. I'm bit stuck tho as got a cardinal that only eats frozen shrimp so it's easy to over feed. Just keep testing ur water and if any algae starts growing deal with it ASAP before takes over or u will feel like your fighting a loosing battle
Old 03-06-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

My roundbelly cowfish will only eat frozen mysis or live blood worms so yeah that makes things really hard. I will try the flake method and see how that works. I only need to distract the other fish so juggs can eat.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Try target feeding him,wish I could with my cardinal but he craps it so he only eats once aday now. Which he don't like lol
Old 03-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

What is target feeding? When i bought the tank it already had algae growing up the back side of the tank. The owner said its good for the future coral and live rock. But idk im new to all this. Just got a great deal on a awesome tank.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Don't hold me on this but think u get something like turkey Baster put food in and point it towards fish but sure if u googled it will tell u more. Yeah I don't touch the back so there's always algae, what I mean is bad algae like hair algae just one of kinds can get. Over feeding can have big part to play if u have bad algae growing so that's one way you could find out but really think feeding down to the person as everywhere says different so as long your waters good then will be ok
Old 03-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I feed my new anemone with a syringe. He wouldnt like that at all. I think im just going to keep hand feeding him. The guy who owned the tank before me said he never did water changes. He said he would just put about 6 gallons of new water in weekly as it evaporated. Gosh i need to do allot of research.

Tags
feeding

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com