over feeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eva1313

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i love my fish.... i feed them small amounts of mysis shrip and black worms at least twice a day. Is that too much?

I think it's too much, I only feed my fish once every other day. Do you have any algae problems? How big is the tank and how many fish? I think if you have top notch filtration and do large weekly water changes you could feed twice a day. Just my opinion!

I have a aquatop pro uv filtration system and a top knotch protein skimmer. The problem is the cowfish has to eat twice a day. The other fish get jealous so i just feed them all. Im worried now.

Algae is main problem I think. I only been doing sw for yr now and was feeding mine three times aday as guy in shop told me this and had alot of red algae growing but it's nearly gone now but still feed them twice aday but give flake in moring and frozen in evening. It's really down to u how much as if u are only giving small amounts and doin water changes every wk u sould be ok. I'm bit stuck tho as got a cardinal that only eats frozen shrimp so it's easy to over feed. Just keep testing ur water and if any algae starts growing deal with it ASAP before takes over or u will feel like your fighting a loosing battle

My roundbelly cowfish will only eat frozen mysis or live blood worms so yeah that makes things really hard. I will try the flake method and see how that works. I only need to distract the other fish so juggs can eat.

Try target feeding him,wish I could with my cardinal but he craps it so he only eats once aday now. Which he don't like lol

What is target feeding? When i bought the tank it already had algae growing up the back side of the tank. The owner said its good for the future coral and live rock. But idk im new to all this. Just got a great deal on a awesome tank.

Don't hold me on this but think u get something like turkey Baster put food in and point it towards fish but sure if u googled it will tell u more. Yeah I don't touch the back so there's always algae, what I mean is bad algae like hair algae just one of kinds can get. Over feeding can have big part to play if u have bad algae growing so that's one way you could find out but really think feeding down to the person as everywhere says different so as long your waters good then will be ok

I feed my new anemone with a syringe. He wouldnt like that at all. I think im just going to keep hand feeding him. The guy who owned the tank before me said he never did water changes. He said he would just put about 6 gallons of new water in weekly as it evaporated. Gosh i need to do allot of research.

I have such a high current it seems like its evaporating very fast. Im constantly checking the salt ammonia and nitrates. And we are putting at least 6 gallons or more in per week.

Just try different kinds of food see if anything he like. Yeah I done loads research before I got as never had fish before and still do when see something odd so make sure fish are happy and healthy. Don't no what could course the evaporating as seems a lot but depends on how big your tank is and if u got hood/lid but that's just a guess as dont really lose much water

Don't no sorry but just google it, I got 33g and don't lose even a gallon

I found out its because of the protein skimmer i have. It produces a large waterfall that sprays off a good amount of water. So i guess this is normal for the equipment i have.

I have a 110 gal and loose 1 gal per day to evap. ATO keeps things in check. My ATO resevior is refilled every 5 days and its 5 gals.
A standard 75 has the same footprint as the 110 and would have very similar evap.

Thank you so much! I have been worried but that is about the same amount of water evaporating from mine. That makes me feel much better.

Back
Top Bottom