Over flow & sump questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick862

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have built a 315l DT with a 75l sump. Drilled with 1"1/2 overflow and 1" return.

I'm using a 3500lph pump that can be adjusted for flow. The problem I'm having is not being able to get water back into the sum quick enough. Is my pump to powerful? I was planing on using the snorkel method ( h shape )to silence the overflow and hoping that would draw more water into the overflow stand pipe. Any Ideas guys?

Also I bought this sump brand new but never used (picture below) it came with bio balls but had been told they can be a nitrate factory so was going to remove them and replace with live rock, I don't think a sand bed would work on this design unless I install another baffle. Also I would prefer not to use algaes as filtration as I don't want to use a light. Thank for any advice
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401747407.174894.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401747453.397392.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401747518.594997.jpg

put a protein skimmer and filter sock in compartment one, and some rock in compartment 2.
You may have a problem with micro bubbles making it back to the display since your sump is designed without a bubble trap.

As for the standpipe, it will drain only as much as you send to it. If your sump is emptying, then you don't have enough water in the system.

Hi again. Slowly getting my bits together, so far I have got my protein skimmer. R/pump and filter sock in the sump. I will admit I I could of had a bigger sump but that all I could fit under my tank as it's all custom made to fit my home. I have yet to install another baffle to make a bubble trap, what I was wondering is would I get enough LR in the middle part? Is there another type of media that would be better, maybe bio balls?

Cheers ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408565711.260829.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408565728.500419.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Bio balls were designed to be used in a wet/dry application, and are nothing more than surface area. Live rock is a more effective media since it has anaerobic zones deep inside that house the bacteria needed to change nitrate to a gas so it can be expelled from the tank.
Bio balls will need to be tended to- cleaned fairly regularly so that detritus doesn't build up on them and cause nitrate problems. When doing this you'll be washing a lot of beneficial microfauna down the drain.
You could put a little rock rubble and maybe some sand in the bottom, and add algae for a small refugium.

Ok, what type of algae would you suggest. Something I could grow to feed the fish would be good?. I am going to use a uv steriliser, would that effect the growth of algae in the sump

No, it will not effect the algae in the sump. I wouldn't recommend one(UV sterilizer) for a reef tank though. Bubble caulerpa is readily eaten by herbivores/omnivores. I've seen some crabs eat chaetomorpha, but not fish. What fish are you planning to keep?

tangs, wrasse, chromis, blennies, I what a peaceful tanks, haven't decided what breed yet, I would like an eel as I'm amazed how they stick their head out the rock, all depends on what I stock the tank with. I have a 46g reef tank at the moment but it has no sump so this is all new to me.

I assume you are upgrading? 315 liters is roughly 83 gallons. Hardly the tank I would choose for tangs. None of the other fish you mentioned will eat the more common macroalgae we use for nutrient removal purposes.
If you want an eel, look into engineer gobies. They have the eel look, without the eel appetite ;)

Hi mr x, could you help please. So I have been building my tank for the last year when I get time after work. I finally done a test run today and everything works good with my overflow and return, I was a bit worried about pipe sizes but all seems ok atm.

The problem I'm having is the noise factor. I drilled a hole in the end cap of my diy overflow and that's working great, it's the noise from the bulk head down the pipe into the sump.

I'm using a filter sock and the pipe is at least 4 inches below the waterline.

Pipe sizes:

Return- 1" hose into 1/2 overflow pipe as you can see in the picture.

Overflow standpipe is 1"1/4 all the way down into the sump.

It's the sound of crashing water as it comes down the overflow pipe. Would putting some 90 degree bends slow the flow and stop the noise?

I am using a 3500l/ph pump.

My overall volume is around 380l(100 US gal)

So I should be pumping 2500l ( 680 USgal) per hour turnover. I have read so many posts but with no luck

Hellpppp
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415904111.108023.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415904137.471113.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415904206.137669.jpg

Restricting the drain is not something I personally would do, but I have heard of folks putting a ball valve on it to quiet it. You can turn down the pump volume a tiny bit and see if that helps. Not too much though because I believe your skimmer pump to be around 660 gph (2500LPH), and cutting it back too much will surely have an effect on it's efficiency.

Right ok, I have been reading up about herbie drains but I only have two holes in the tank so I would have to run the return over the top of the tank which is something I don't want to do, I want the system to be contained. Upping the size of the overflow might help but not sure. I'm also going to try the ball valve thing you suggested. Cheers

I think I will go with the herbie method, I will drill another hole for the return. I understand the method and how to do it but I don't understand one thing. If the power to the return pump shuts off what stops the main overflow from siphoning and flooding my sump? Do I need to place the main drain about 2inch below the emergency drain? All a it confusing. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom