Over flow rating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frickmiester

Aquarium Advice Activist
How can I find the over flow rating for my tank? I need to know so I know what size of pump I need. Thank in advance!

Head height? Please explain.
How high the pump has to push the water, the higher it has to push the water, it slows down the flow rate. So it flows faster 2' high than 4' high, so you have to take into account the 'head' height for the actual flow rate of the pump.

The pressure on the pump from trying to push the water up to the tank. In other words it will slow the gph a good bit so you have to make up the difference and get a bigger pump

And since my return line is right beside the entrance tube it's goin to have to make at least 2 elbow bends to make it back at the least

If I do put in an elbow should I have it drain back into the pump section of the sump or the entrance to the sump

Ya but If I get a larger pump then needed and I want to divert some of the water from going back to the tank where should I have it go? Like what part of te sump should I have the extra water go

Now that I understood lol

Back to the sump or the refugium, It doesn't really matter. I would put a control valve on the line from the pump to the tank.

Last edited:
Ok. But wouldn't most of the water go back into the sump if I have the valve on the main return since the line going back to the sump would be the path of least resistance?

Ok. But wouldn't most of the water go back into the sump if I have the valve on the main return since the line going back to the sump would be the path of least resistance?

Yeah, but you don't want to slow the flow of the pump with a valve, it will shorten the pumps life span. So you keep a ball valve on the line to the tank, and one on the valve going back to the sump. You will simply have to tune the valves right and you will see, once you get it right, it will work great

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom