Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Activist

We put live copepods that regenerate....

Old 03-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have tons of live rock. I have a 75 gallon tank with at least 45 lbs of live rock. This fish belonged to the previous owner and has been living in this same tank for over a year. He is fat and healthy.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:43 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok so i checked and we have exactly 56 lbs of live rock. Is that really not enough?
Old 03-19-2013, 01:54 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva1313 View Post
Ok so i checked and we have exactly 56 lbs of live rock. Is that really not enough?
It depends on how many copepods and amphipods are reproducing in your tank. You can often see if his stomach is always sunken, and never fills out. If he is eating enough it will usually look flat or even rounded.

If he is a long term captive he may have learned to eat prepared food. Contrary to popular theory, if you can keep them well fed and happy long enough they will often start eating what you are feeding the other fish. They are very inquisitive fish that watch every thing that is going on around them. Eventually they notice that everyone around them is eating this strange stuff you dump in the tank, and will give it a taste. I think their inquisitive nature comes from their natural diet, and the way that they live their life. They spend their whole life looking for the tiniest possible food source in every tiny nook and cranny.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:02 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Activist

Im going to go out and buy more copepods tomorrow. I really love my fish and want them all to be happy. I think i have seen him eat little bits of live worm that drop from my cow when he eats. The fish guy sold me my copepods and said they would multiply but now im concerned.... i am new to this. Iv had a tank before but not anywhere as beautiful as this one.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:03 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

You guys are helping me so much. M so grateful for this site.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:19 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's a good sign if you are seeing him eat the worms that you are feeding the cowfish. It means that he knows there are other sources of food. if you are adding a bag of live pods it is a good idea to add them after lights out so they have a chance to disperse, and establish themselves.

I know with my tank when I first turn my lights on I can see pods all over the glass. My toby detaches himself from his rock sleeping spot when the lights come on and has himself a little breakfast before they all disappear back into the sand and rocks. I only have about 30 pounds of rock in my tank, and most of that was dry rock when I put it in. So, the pods that are in there all came from about 10 pounds of rock.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:34 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

The person before who had this tank established it well. The rock has all been live for over a year. He sold me this tank just a few months ago. I will go but some tomorrow to be safe. Thank you so much for the advice. I will put them in the tank at night. I havent seen any on the glass and have no idea what they would even look like. He looks very healthy though.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:17 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

When I turn on the lights they look like tiny white specks crawling on glass. They are smaller than a pin head so you have to look closely to see them. I have them on my glass at night because I have a bit of an algae problem I have been fighting. They come out onto the glass at night to eat the algae. There are often tiny worms that are barely a mm long as well. Between the rock in my tank and the refugium I'm sure my tank could easily feed a mandarin.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Those tiny specks on the glass are a type of isopods. I'm assuming these are the ones you speak of-

See the asterina starfish for size reference-

I don't understand how people say they "train" dragonets to eat prepared foods, when all you can do is toss in food and hope for the best. I've sold a lot of mandarins and I've never seen them mimic the behavior of other tank mates. This is most certainly rare.
Folks used to say 100 pounds of rock per mandarin, to be sure they will not run out of food. As I said earlier, It could take months for them to starve.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com